Art and Design Academy
The Art and Design Academy in Liverpool, England houses Liverpool John Moores University's School of Art and Design. It is located at Duckinfield Street in LJMU's Mount Pleasant Campus, immediately adjacent to the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. The iconic six storey building was constructed between 2005 and 2008 at a cost of £27 million. The RIBA award winning Art and Design Academy was designed by Rick Mather Architects, during construction the contractor was Wates Construction and the structural and services engineer was Ramboll UK.
The Art and Design Academy has a gross internal area of 11,608 m2 (124,950 sq ft) and contains 175 m2 (1,880 sq ft) of public exhibition space, alongside a number of lecture theatres, seminar rooms and a large auditorium. ICT facilities, workshops and a café are also located in the building - which is also available for conference venue and facility hire. The building houses a public gallery and a public café.
Liverpool School of Art and Design is the oldest art and design school in England outside London. In 1825, Liverpool Mechanics’ School of Art Institute was established, providing and education for working men. In 1856 the school had changed name to become The Liverpool Institute and School of Art. This then moved to Liverpool College of Art on Hope Street in 1880 to a new building to house the School of Art. In 2000, the school developed to cater for a much broader field of subjects and it moved into the current building in 2008.
The School has hosted several exhibitions, including the prestigious RIBA President's Medals Students Award. Each year the school hosts a degree show with students displaying work from Fine Art, Architecture, Graphic Design, Product Design, Interior Design and Popular Music Studies. The fashion graduates also present their work in a fashion show.
- Norman Thelwell - Cartoonist
- John Lennon - Musician
- David Gray - Musician
- Bill Drummond - Musician, Artist
- Jane Greenwood - costume designer
- Shirley Hughes - author and illustrator
- "LJMU Art and Design Academy". Rick Mather Architects. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "RIBA Award Winners: 2010 LJMU Art & Design Academy". Place North West. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "Property Data: Art and Design Academy". Liverpool John Moores University. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "Conference Venue and Facility Hire". Liverpool John Moores University. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "The LIPA Building". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- Merry, Louise. "Liverpool John Moores University guide". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- Ryan, Clare. "Art and Design Academy". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- Hankey, Malcolm. "2011 Award Winners Announced". Civic Trust Awards. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Pioneers in their field". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Making the grade". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "LJMU Art & Design Academy Scoop Architecture Award". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "LJMU Art & Design Academy has been named the winner in World Architecture News (WAN) Awards 2010 Education Sector.". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "LJMU further develops connections with RIBA". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- Lee, Susan. "Designers of the future to the catwalk in JMU’s graduate fashion show". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- Turner, Ben. "Liverpool John Moores university fashion students unveil designs of the future". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Liverpool Art and Design Academy.|