Arthur's Lady's Home Magazine
Arthur's Home Magazine (1852-ca.1898) or Ladies' Home Magazine was an American periodical published in Philadelphia by Timothy Shay Arthur. Editors Arthur and Virginia Francis Townsend selected writing and illustrations intended to appeal to female readers. Among the contributors: Mary Tyler Peabody Mann and Kate Sutherland. In its early years the monthly comprised a selection of articles originally published in Arthur's weekly Home Gazette. Its nonfiction stories contained occasional factual inaccuracies for the sake of a good read. A contemporary review judged it "gotten up in good taste and well; and is in nothing overdone. Even its fashion plates are not quite such extravagant caricatures of rag-baby work as are usually met with in some of the more fancy magazines." Readers included patrons of the Mercantile Library Association of San Francisco.
- Arthur's Home Magazine
- Arthur's Illustrated Home Magazine
- Arthur's Lady's Home Magazine
- The Home Magazine
- Ladies' Home Magazine
- Lady's Home Magazine
- Alice Fahs (1999). "The Feminized Civil War: Gender, Northern Popular Literature, and the Memory of the War, 1861-1900". Journal of American History 85.
- Bertha Monica Stearns (1945). "Philadelphia Magazines for Ladies: 1830-1860". Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 69.
- "About Arthur's home gazette. (Philadelphia [Pa.]) 1850-1855". US Newspaper Directory. Washington DC: Library of Congress. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Dorothy Bundy Turner Potter (2010), Food for Apollo: cultivated music in antebellum Philadelphia, Bethlehem: Lehigh University Press
- Wisconsin Farmer and North-Western Cultivator. 1857. Missing or empty
- "Annual report of the president of the Mercantitle Library Association of San Francisco". 1855.
- Advertisement for "Arthur's Home Magazine for 1861. The Ladies' Home Magazine. Volumes XVII and XVIII. Edited by T.S. Arthur and Virginia F. Townsend. Devoted to social literature, art, morals, health, and domestic happiness." (In: Godey's Lady's Book. January 1861. Missing or empty
- Arthur's Illustrated Home Magazine 45, Philadelphia: T.S. Arthur & Co., January 1877
- Phillips' Newspaper Rate-Book. 1884.
Arthur's Illustrated Home Magazine. Monthly. Literary. Illustrated. Established 1855.
- "Timothy Shay Arthur". The Cyclopædia of temperance and prohibition. New York: Funk & Wagnalls. 1891. OCLC 3666170.
- American Newspaper Directory. Rowell. 1872.
- Arthur's Home Magazine (Philadelphia: T.S. Arthur & Co.). Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arthur's Home Magazine.|
- Hathi Trust. Lady's Home Magazine of Literature, Art, and Fashion
- Hathi Trust. Arthur's Home Magazine