Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds
|Arthur 3: The War of Two Worlds|
|Directed by||Luc Besson|
|Produced by||Luc Besson
|Written by||Luc Besson
|Music by||Éric Serra|
|Distributed by||EuropaCorp (France)
20th Century Fox/The Weinstein Company (USA)
|Running time||101 minutes|
|Budget||€65 million (shared with The Revenge of Maltazard)|
Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds (French: Arthur et la guerre des deux mondes, also known in English as Arthur and the Invisibles 3 or simply Arthur 3 as well as Arthur and the Great Adventure for its UK re-release) is a French and American film with live action and animation co-written, co-produced and directed by Luc Besson, based on his novel of the same title and starring Freddie Highmore and Mia Farrow. EuropaCorp produced the film, which is the third in Besson's Arthur series, following Arthur and the Invisibles and continuing Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard.
Following the second film of the series, Maltazard has assumed human size, and left Arthur in miniature. Accompanied by Selenia and Betamache, Arthur attempts to retrieve an enlarging potion from his house, which Maltazard seizes to enlarge his followers, whereafter Arthur returns to human form using an Elixir of Life given by a queen bee. Archibald convinces Darkos, Maltazard's son, to change sides, and enlarges him with a second potion. Arthur and Darkos then confront Maltazard, until Selenia and Betamesh shrink Maltazard back to his Minimoy size and Arthur captures him, while the U.S. Army overcome Maltazard's forces. Maltazard thereafter remains a prisoner of Arthur's family.
- Freddie Highmore as Arthur Montgomery
- Mia Farrow as Granny Daisy Suchot
- Ron Crawford as Archibald
- Robert Stanton as Sheriff Armand Montgomery
- Penny Balfour as Rosetta "Rose" Suchot Montgomery
- Richard William Davis as M
- Jean Betote Njambia as Bogo Chief
- Steve Routman as Dr. Stitch
- David Gasman as Mechanic
- Cooper Daniels as George Lucas
- Norman Stokle as Mayor
- Dashiell Harman Eaves as Deputy Simon Suchot
- Joseph Rezwin as Brad
- Stephen Shagov as Captain Bellerive
- Stephen Croce as Fireman 1
- Antony Hickling as Douglas
- Selena Gomez as Princess Selenia
- Lou Reed as Emperor Maltazard
- Iggy Pop as Darkos
- Jimmy Fallon as Prince Betameche
- Mike Powers as Graffiti Artist
Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds received mixed to negative reviews. One critic deemed the film "A mild improvement over its two predecessors" and gave the film a score of 2/5. The film has a score of 20% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, with an average rating of 4.8/10.
Shortly after the film's initial release, it was edited together with Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard into a single film. This version, under the title Arthur and the Great Adventure, was theatrically released on December 24, 2010.
Arthur 3: The War of Two Worlds was not released theatrically in the US, due to the poor box office showing of Arthur and the Invisibles. Instead, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment released it together with Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard as a two-movie direct-to-video set on March 22, 2011, under the title Arthur and the Invisibles 2+3: The New Minimoy Adventures.
- Nusair, David (24 March 2011). "The Films of Luc Besson". reelfilm.com. Retrieved 28 February 2012.