Arthur Blackburne Poynton (1867–1944) was a classical scholar. He was a Fellow and later Master of University College, Oxford.
Arthur Poynton studied at Balliol College, Oxford from 1885. He was Fellow and Tutor at University College, Oxford from 1894, and Bursar from 1900 to 1935. At University College, he was tutor to the author and academic C. S. Lewis from 1919 to 1920 and the classical scholar E. R. Dodds. He was also Public Orator at Oxford University for seven years.
Poynton died on October 8, 1944 during World War II as the result of a motor car accident in the High Street at Oxford.
- ^ a b c d Bickerton, Fred, Fred of Oxford. London: Evans Brothers Limited, 1953, pages 136–137.
- ^ Robin Darwall-Smith, Index of BJs contemporaries Balliol College, Oxford, 2009.
- ^ Kathryn Lindskoog, C. S. Lewis and the Ceremonies at Oxford University (1917–1925), The Lewis Legacy, Issue 79, Winter 1999. The C.S. Lewis Foundation for Truth in Publishing, 1 January 1999.
- ^ Eikasmos, Volume 15, pages 463–476, 2004.
- ^ Canonibus Dawsiensis, Time.