Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies
|Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies|
Logo of the Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies
|Headquarters||Moratuwa, Sri Lanka|
|Region served||Sri Lanka|
|Membership||Asia Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF)|
|Chairman||Professor Lalith D. K. B. Gamage|
|Parent organization||Ministry of Technology and Research (formerly Ministry of Science and Technology, Sri Lanka)|
Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies (ACCIMT) (Sinhala: නවීන තාක්ෂණය පිළිබඳ ආතර් සී. ක්ලාක් මධ්යස්ථානය) is an institute for research and technology transfer in Sri Lanka. It is named after its founder patron, Sir Arthur C. Clarke, the famous British science fiction author, inventor and futurist. The institute is mainly focused on conducting research in the fields of electronics, micro-electronics, telecommunications, information technology, space technologies and robotics, and provision of training for relevant industry professionals. It is one of the few institutions of this kind in Sri Lanka.
The ACCIMT was established in 1984 by a parliament act, the Arthur C. Clarke Centre For Modern Technologies Act, No. 30 of 1984. This institution, initially known as Arthur C. Clarke Centre, was renamed as the Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies, and re-established in a corporate form in 1994 by the Science And Technology Development Act, No. 11 of 1994. It comes under the purview of the Ministry of Technology and Research, Sri Lanka (formerly the Ministry of Science and Technology). In the same year, the ACCIMT was appointed as the national focal point for space technology applications, by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP).
In 1996, the institute received a 45cm GoTo Cassegrain reflector telescope as a donation by the Tokyo National Observatory via the Government of Japan. It is the largest optical telescope in Sri Lanka. Relevant technical assistance was provided by Besei Astronomical Observatory, Japan and the South African Astronomical Observatory.
ACCIMT received the membership of Asia Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF) sponsored by Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), as a result of activities it had organized to popularize astronomy, among the Sri Lankan community. It hosted the 15th Session of the Intergovernmental Consultative Committee on the Regional Space Applications Programme for Sustainable Development (RESAP) in 2011. The program was conducted by the UNESCAP.
Research and development
The institute conducts research in information and communications technology, electronics, microelectronics, space technology, robotics and photonics. Most of its research is aimed at promoting latest technology among government and the private sector industries in Sri Lanka.
The institute also provides industry-wide services for microprocessor based machinery, telecommunications systems, information systems and computer networks. In addition, diagnostic and calibration services are provided for sophisticated instrumentation, by its instrumentation division.
ACCIMT conducts Continuing professional development programs for professionals and senior managers serving in local industries. It has also launched electronics workshops and astronomy outreach programs for school students in Sri Lanka. Library facilities are available for university students and the general public. Moreover, students selected for the International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics through the Sri Lankan Astronomy and Astrophysics Olympiad are also trained there.
Arthur C. Clarke memorial lecture
Since the passing of Sir Arthur C. Clarke in 2008, the institute conducts an Arthur C. Clarke memorial lecture, annually. The lecture is delivered by a prominent scientist in the field of space science.
List of scientists to deliver the lecture so far:
- 2009 - Dr. Krishnaswamy Kasturirangan (former chairman of the Indian Space Research Organization and a member of the Planning Commission of India)
- 2010 - Dr. Thirumalachari Ramasami (Secretary to the Department of Science and Technology, India)
- 2011 - Dr. Mustafa Din Subari (Director General of the Malaysian National Space Agency)
- 2012 - Prof. Suvit Vibulsresth (Founder-Executive Director of the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency of Thailand)
- "Science Fiction Writer Arthur C. Clarke Dies at Age of 90". Space.com. March 18, 2008. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "Abut ACCIMT". Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Arthur C. Clarke Gala to be held tonight in Los Angeles". Space Frontier Foundation. spaceref.com. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- Ünver, Bircan. "Arthur C. Clarke Center for Modern Technologies: A Vision of Sri Lanka for Twenty-First Century". lightmillennium.org. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "Governing Ministry". Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies". Ministry of Technology and Research, Sri Lanka. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "Advancement in Space Science Technology in Sri Lanka". Padmasiri de Alwis, H. S. Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- Tulloch, Simon (May 1994). "The Sri Lankan National Astronomical Observatory: A Site Survey Report" (PDF). Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "World Space Week: Honing on modern technology". The Sunday Observer. October 4, 2009. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Apace Applications Division". Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- Gunawardene, Nalaka (October 4, 2011). "A Tale of Three Telescopes and a Blind News Media". groundviews.org. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- Jayarathne, Chandana. "The Forerunner of Modern Astronomy in Sri Lanka". University of Colombo. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "Consultative Meeting on Regional Cooperative Mechanisms on Space Applications towards an Effective Disaster Management and Sustainable Development". United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "National Astronomy and Astrophysics competition brochure" (PDF). Institute of Physics, Sri Lanka. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- Nizam, Ifham (March 19, 2009). "Arthur C. Clarke memorial lecture at BMICH today". The Island. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "Arthur C. Clarke Memorial Lecture". Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- Looking at Heavens From the Pearl in the Indian Ocean: Web Based Telescope Controller that Accessible To All