|Artur Nikolayevich Chilingarov|
Artur Nikolayevich Chilingarov visiting Arkangelsk (2009, August 22)
25 September 1939 |
Leningrad, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union (now St. Petersburg, Russia)
|Known for||Polar exploration|
Artur Nikolayevich Chilingarov (Russian: Артур Николаевич Чилингаров; born 25 September 1939) is a Russian polar explorer. He is a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, he was awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union in 1986 and the title of Hero of the Russian Federation in 2008. He is the president of State Polar Academy. Chilingarov is a member of the United Russia party; he was a member of the State Duma from 1993 to 2011 and is the current representative of Tula Oblast in the Federation Council.
In 1963, he graduated from the Arctic faculty of the S.O. Makarov Leningrad Maritime Institute. As an engineer-oceanographer, he was directed to the Tiksi observatory of the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute. In 1965, he was elected first secretary of the Bulun Komsomol district committee. In 1969, he was appointed head of the drift ice station “North Pole-19” and, in 1971, Chilingarov headed the Bellingshausen Station of the 17th Soviet Antarctic Expedition.
Between 1974 and 1979, he worked in the Western sector of the Arctic as head of the Amderma Administration of hydrometeorology and environmental control. Under his direction, new forms of Arctic operative navigation support were implemented; for the first time, experimental work on cargo transfers to fast ice during wintertime were carried out in the Yamal Peninsula. Chilingarov summarized his experience in navigation support on the Northern Sea Route in his dissertation for the scientific degree of a kandidat of geographical sciences.
In 1985, he headed the special expedition on the research vessel Mikhail Somov, which was ice-blocked in the Southern Ocean. For successful performance of the rescue operations in extreme conditions and for displayed organizational abilities and courage, Chilingarov was awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union on February 14, 1986.
In January 2002, he led an expedition hosted by the Adventure Network International to the South Pole along with 14 other tourists on an Antonov An-3 biplane. In January 2007, he led a helicopter expedition to Antarctica, he was joined by FSB chief Nikolay Patrushev and visited the South Pole and Amundsen-Scott station.
During the 2007 Russian North Pole expedition, Chilingarov, accompanied by five other explorers from different countries, descended on 2 Mir submersibles to the seabed 13,980 feet below the North Pole in order to plant the Russian flag there and gather specimens of the seabed. In regard to the territorial claims in the Arctic, Chilingarov was quoted as saying, "The Arctic is Russian. We must prove the North Pole is an extension of the Russian landmass".
In July 2008, Russia announced it was sending Mir submersibles to descend one mile to the bottom of Lake Baikal to conduct geological and biological tests on its unique ecosystem. Chilingarov is scheduled to join in 60 dives in total. On July 29, 2008, Chilingarov took part in a dive to a depth of 1,580 meters in Lake Baikal, just short of the record 1,637 meters.
On January 10, 2008, Chilingarov was awarded the title of Hero of the Russian Federation for "courage and heroism displayed in extreme conditions and for the successful completion of the High-Latitude Arctic Deep-Water Expedition."
In December 2012, Artur Chilingarov supported Anti-Magnitsky bill to ban U.S. adoptions of Russian orphans, although he said earlier that there was no need to rush the legislation: "It concerns children, and you have to be accurate with it” 
- This article incorporates information from the Russian Wikipedia.
- Hero of the Russian Federation (January 9, 2008) - for courage and heroism displayed in extreme conditions, and the success of high-latitude Arctic expedition
- Hero of the Soviet Union (February 14, 1986) - for exemplary performance targets for the release of the research vessel Mikhail Somov from the ice of Antarctica, leadership in rescue operations during the period of drift and displaying courage and heroism
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland, 3rd class (June 12, 2007) - for active participation in legislative activities and the success of high-latitude air expedition to South Pole
- Order of Naval Merit (27 January 2003) - for outstanding contribution to research, development and use of the oceans
- Order of Lenin
- Order of the Red Banner of Labour
- Order of the Badge of Honour
- Honoured meteorologist of the Russian Federation (11 February 2005)
- USSR State Prize - for the development of methods of cargo handling on fast ice in Yamal
- Order of Polar Star (Yakutia, 25 November 2002)
- Order of St. Mashtots (Armenia, September 17, 2008) - in connection with the 17th anniversary of the independence of the Republic of Armenia
- Commander of the Order of Bernardo O'Higgins (Chile, 2006)
- Order of Friendship (South Ossetia), (June 19, 2009) - for his great contribution to strengthening friendship and cooperation between peoples, actively promote the development of democracy and parliamentarianism in the Republic of South Ossetia and to provide practical assistance to its citizens in the implementation of voting rights
- Chevalier Legion of Honour (France, 2010)
- Medal of Anania Shirakatsi (Armenia, October 31, 2000) - for his contribution to the strengthening and development of Armenian-Russian friendship
- Order of St. Prince Daniil Moskovsky, 2nd class (Russian Orthodox Church, 2009) - in consideration of the works, for their active participation in the development of church life and in connection with the 70th anniversary of the birth
- Medal "Symbol of Science" (2007)
Chilingarov is the author of more than 50 scientific publications. He was elected into all the State Dumas and served as Deputy Chairman of the Third State Duma.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Artur Chilingarov.|
- Выборное правительство. Регионы распределены между министрами-единороссами (in Russian). Yarnovosti.com. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Armenians of the World-Arthur Chilingarov" (in Armenian). Shant TV. 12 November 2011. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Artur Nikolayevich Chilingarov" (in Russian). Warheroes.ru. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "RUSSIAN VIP SOUTH POLE VISIT 2002". Newzeal.com. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Patrushev lands at the South Pole during Antarctic expedition". Interfax.ru. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Russia ahead in Arctic 'gold rush'". BBC News. 2007-08-01. Archived from the original on 3 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "Submarines to plumb deepest lake". ukpress.google.com/.[dead link]
- Reuters (2008-07-29). "Russia sub's deep lake dive fails to set record". Reuters.com. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- Президент России Указ «О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации» (in Russian). Kremlin.ru. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Чилингаров собрался в Арктику на дирижабле (in Russian). Fontanka.ru. 2009-08-21. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Adoption Ban Passes Unanimously". Themoscowtimes.com. Retrieved 19 November 2014.