||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (April 2008)|
June 8, 1940|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Known for||fashion photography|
CFDA Board of Directors Award 2011
Arthur Elgort (born 8 June 1940) is an American fashion photographer best known for his work with Vogue magazine.
Life and career
Arthur Elgort was born, in 1940, in Brooklyn. His parents, Sophie and Harry Elgort, were from Jewish families that immigrated from Eastern Europe. He was raised in New York City. He attended Stuyvesant High School and then Hunter College, where he studied painting. Today, he lives in New York City with his wife, Grethe Barrett Holby, who is a producer, stage director, choreographer, and dramaturge, and three children; his son is actor Ansel Elgort.
Elgort began his career working as a photo assistant to Gus Peterson, whose natural shooting style greatly contributed to the lively and casual style Elgort is so well known for today. He also attributes much of his style to a lifelong love of music and dance, particularly jazz and ballet.
Elgort's 1971 debut in British Vogue created a sensation in the Fashion Photography world where his soon-to-be iconic "snapshot" style and emphasis on movement and natural light liberated the idea of fashion photography. In September 2008, he told Teen Vogue that he credited Mademoiselle for his big break: "They were really brave and gave me a chance. It was the first time I was shooting a cover instead of a half-page here or there." From there, he rose to fame working for such elite magazines as International and American Vogue, Glamour, GQ, Rolling Stone, and Teen Vogue among others and shooting advertising campaigns with numerous international fashion labels such as Chanel, Valentino, and Yves Saint Laurent. Elgort quickly became one of the most well-known and emulated photographers in the world. His early body of work from the 1970s and 1980s is often considered representative of the fashion industry at the time.
Arthur Elgort's works are exhibited in the permanent collections of the International Center of Photography in New York, in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and in the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, Texas.
Elgort published his first book in 1993 Personal Fashion Photographs. During 1994, he published Models Manual with pictures of several super models like Christy Turlington, Paulina Porizkova, and Linda Evangelista. His books, Camera Crazy (2004) and Camera Ready (1997), focus on his love of cameras and taking pictures.
- Personal Fashion Picture. 1983. p. 109. OCLC 17282579.
- Arthur Elgort's models manual. Grand Street Press. c1993. p. 384. ISBN 0963923609.
- Camera Ready : how to shoot your kids. St Martins Press. 1997. p. 208. ISBN 0789301032.
- Camera Crazy. Steidl. 2004. ISBN 3865210279.
In addition to his still photographs Mr. Elgort is also recognized for his work as a filmmaker. He made several films include Colorado Cowboy that follows legendary cowboy, Bruce Ford, which won the award for Best Cinematography at the Sundance Film Festival in 1994.
- Texas Tenor: The Illinois Jacquet Story
- Colorado Cowboy: The Bruce Ford Story winner Best Cinematography at the Sundance Film Festival 1994
- Arthor Elgort 1970-2010 at Staley Wise Gallery 
- "1994 Sundance Film Festival". Sundance Institute. Archived from the original on 2012-12-24.
- White, Minor (1991). Aperture. Aperture Foundation. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Birth Notice 1 -- No Title". The New York Times. 1940. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Advertising Techniques. ADA Publishing Co. 1972. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Markey, Judy (December 15, 1994). "This Picture Is Worth A Thousand Puzzles". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Camera. International Federation of Photographic Art. 1974. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- Holgate, Mark (06 June 2011) "Photographer Arthur Elgort To Be Given the CFDA Board of Directors Award Tonight" www.vogue.com
- Givhan, Robin (June 2, 2011). "Arthur Elgort's Casual Magic: Renowned Fashion Photographer Wins CFDA Board Award". The Daily Beast. Archived from the original on 2012-12-22.
- "Arthor Elgort 1970-2010". Staley Wise Gallery. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Arthur Elgort official website
- Arthur Elgort archive on Teen Vogue.com