Arthur L. Johnson High School
|Arthur L. Johnson High School|
|365 Westfield Avenue
Clark, NJ 07066
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Clark Public School District|
|Asst. Principal||Travis Smith|
|Faculty||79.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||848 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.74:1|
|Athletics conference||Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference|
Arthur L. Johnson High School is a four-year public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Clark, in Union County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Clark Public School District. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1963. Students from Garwood attend the high school as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Garwood Public Schools.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 848 students and 79.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.74:1. There were 35 students (4.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 8 (0.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In the 2011 "Ranking America's High Schools" issue by The Washington Post, the school was ranked 47th in New Jersey and 1,493rd nationwide. The school was ranked 1609th, the 62nd-highest in New Jersey, in Newsweek magazine's 2010 rankings of America's Best High Schools.
The school was the 86th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 40th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 101st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 95th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 91st in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 115th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 29 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (84.1%) and language arts literacy (97.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The Arthur L. Johnson High School Crusaders compete in the Union County Interscholastic Athletic Conference, which consists of public and parochial high schools covering Union County, operating under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 616 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 506 to 749 students in that grade range. Before the 2010 realignment, the school had participated in the Mountain Valley Conference, which consisted of public and parochial high schools in Essex County and Union County.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Richard Delmonaco, Principal
- Travis Smith, Assistant Principal
- Todd Burger (born 1970), former professional football player for the Chicago Bears and New York Jets.
- Kenneth Ham (born 1964), piloted the Space Shuttle Discovery as a member of the STS-124 mission that delivered components to the International Space Station.
- Jeffrey Lichtman, defense attorney in New York City who represented John Gotti Jr. and managed to secure a dismissal of three charges of murder conspiracy, an acquittal of a $25 million securities fraud charge, and a hung jury on every remaining count brought against him.
- Frank Spaziani (born 1947), former head coach of the Boston College Eagles football team.
- Data for Arthur L Johnson High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 8, 2014.
- Arthur L. Johnson High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed September 9, 2011.
- About Us, Garwood Public Schools. Accessed May 13, 2013. "High school students attend ALJ High School in Clark, NJ"
- Clark Township Public Schools 2010 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 8, 2014. " The district enjoys a very positive and collaborative send/receive relationship with the Garwood Public Schools. Students from Garwood are educated in their local K-8 District, then attend Grades 9-12 at our Arthur L. Johnson High School here in Clark."
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: Arthur L. Johnson High School", The Washington Post. Accessed September 9, 2011.
- Staff. "America's Best High Schools: The List", Newsweek, June 13, 2010. Accessed March 26, 2011.
- Streib, Lauren. "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013. Accessed May 9, 2013.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 11, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 26, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 10, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 8, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 8, 2014.
- Home Page, Mountain Valley Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of February 2, 2011. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- Administration, Arthur L. Johnson High School. Accessed March 26, 2011.
- Todd Burger player profile, Football Database. accessed January 13, 2007.
- Kenneth T. Ham, NASA. Accessed March 26, 2011. "Arthur L. Johnson Regional High School, Clark, New Jersey, 1983."
- Armstrong, Kevin. "Spaziani ready to make most of chance as BC's new head coach", Sports Illustrated, May 5, 2009. Accessed March 26, 2011. "Mixed in with graduation moments and prom pageantry, the home video footage captured a true throwback from Arthur L. Johnson Regional High in Clark, N.J. The quarterback wore No. 14 and displayed a powerful arm. To gauge others' interest, Spaziani, then the Eagles' defensive coordinator, gathered his assistants in a meeting room, showed them the film and invited their evaluations. Recognizing their boss as a prep star some 40 years earlier, the coaches burst out laughing."
- Arthur L. Johnson High School
- Clark Public School District
- ALJ High School Alumni Association
- Clark Public School District's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Clark Public School District, National Center for Education Statistics