Arthur S. Maxwell
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2010)|
Arthur Stanley Maxwell (January 14, 1896 – November 13, 1970), otherwise known as Uncle Arthur, was a well-known author, editor, and administrator of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Born in London, England, during his teenage years Maxwell was schooled at Stanborough College upon the insistence of his mother. At age 16, Maxwell worked for a period as a literature evangelist, before becoming a copyreader at Stanborough Press. On May 3, 1917, Maxwell married a proofreader at the office, Rachel Elizabeth Joyce, with whom he had four sons and two daughters.
Maxwell began writing articles for British Adventist journal The Present Truth. During this period he also had articles published in the Signs of the Times. In 1920, Maxwell became editor of the Present Truth and until 1927 was also manager and treasurer of the Stanborough Press, pastor of a nearby church, official Adventist spokesman for church-state affairs in Britain, and editor, in addition to Present Truth, of a health journal.
He wrote a total of 112 books during his lifetime, and is known affectionately by Adventists around the world as "Uncle Arthur." His most notable publications include the Bedtime Stories and The Bible Story volume sets. The simple stories are morality tales that illustrate values such as honesty, diligence, obedience, and selflessness. Volume 1 of The Bible Story, which tells the story of Genesis, upholds the historicity of the Bible account, including the creation of life on earth during a six day creation. This book since the 1950s has been found in many doctors' offices in the United States which includes postcards on how a complete set can be ordered.
In 2006, Maxwell's book Secret of the Cave was turned into a feature film of the same name by students and faculty at Southern Adventist University. The direct to DVD film won the 2006 Crystal Heart Award from the Heartland Film Festival in Indianapolis, Indiana, and has received Dove Family-Approved seal
- Maxwell, C. Mervyn (January 1971). "Sixty years with God". Uncle-Arthur's online. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Arthur, Maxwell (1980). The Bible Story Ten Volume Set (Hardcover ed.). Pacific Press Publishing; 23rd edition. ISBN 0-8280-1265-2.
- Arthur, Maxwell (1976). Bedtime Stories (Hardcover ed.). Pacific Press Publishing. ISBN.
- Arthur, Maxwell. BIBLE HEROES: Adventures of Great Men and Women of God (Hardcover ed.). Review and Herald Publishing. ISBN.
- Arthur, Maxwell. JESUS FRIEND OF CHILDREN: Stories for Young Readers (Hardcover ed.). Review & Herald. ISBN.
- Arthur, Maxwell. Kid's Klassic THE SECRET OF THE CAVE (Paperback ed.). Pacific Press Publishing. ISBN.
- Arthur, Maxwell (1989). Uncle Arthur's Storytime: Children's True Adventures (Paperback ed.). Review and Herald Publishing; Classic ed edition. ISBN 187777300X.
- Uncle Arthur's Online
- Articles by Maxwell as catalogued in the Seventh-day Adventist Periodical Index (SDAPI)