Arthur W. Wallander
|Arthur William Wallander, Sr.|
|Wallander circa 1945-1950|
|New York City Police Commissioner|
|Appointed by||Fiorello H. LaGuardia|
|Preceded by||Lewis Joseph Valentine|
|Succeeded by||William P. O'Brien|
|Born||February 3, 1892|
|Died||November 3, 1980
Putnam-Weaver Nursing Home
Arthur William Wallander, Sr. (February 3, 1892 - November 3, 1980) was New York City Police Commissioner from 1945 to 1949. He was the only Police Commissioner to be retained by an incoming Mayor of New York City.
He was born on February 3, 1892 in New York City to Eva Wallander of Sweden. He had a sister, Fanny I. Wallander. He was appointed as New York City Police Commissioner by Fiorello H. LaGuardia in 1945 and was asked to remain in office by William O'Dwyer when O'Dwyer became mayor. O'Dwyer had been trained by Wallander at the New York City Police Academy.
- "O'Dwyer to Keep Wallander. Knew Him "When I Was Cop'. City's Mayor-Elect Hopes to Confer With La Guardia Before Taking Office". New York Times. November 8, 1945. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
Mayor-elect William O'Dwyer announced yesterday that he had asked Police Commissioner Arthur W. Wallander to remain under the new city administration. ...
- "Police Commissioner Says He Will Leave With His Mayor". New York Times. August 18, 2001. Retrieved 2011-05-03.
Mr. Reppetto noted, however, that just one commissioner in history, Arthur W. Wallander, ever survived more than a few months after a change in administrations. And Mr. Wallander, who had been appointed by Mayor Fiorello La Guardia in 1945, was something of a special case, Mr. Reppetto said. Mayor La Guardia's successor, William O'Dwyer, was a former police officer who had been trained by Mr. Wallander during his days as a rookie in the Police Academy.
- Wallanders in the 1930 US census living in the Bronx
- Connecticut Death Index. Name: Arthur W Wallander Sr Father's Surname: Wallander Death Date: 3 Nov 1980 Death Place: Greenwich, Connecticut Age: 88 Years Birth Place: New York Birth Date: 3 Feb 1892 Marital Status: Widowed Spouse: Emma State File #: 22837 Residence : Greenwich)
- "Arthur Wallander, Commissioner Of Police in New York City in 40's. Joined Force in 1914". New York Times. November 5, 1980. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
Arthur W. Wallander, a patrolman who rose to become New York City Police Commissioner, died Monday at the Putnam-Weaver Nursing Home in Greenwich, Conn. ...