Arthur Wontner as Sherlock Holmes
|Born||January 21, 1875
London, England, UK
|Died||July 10, 1960
London, England, UK
|Spouse(s)||Rosecleer Alice Amelia Blanche Kingwell (1903-1943) (her death) 3 children
Florence Eileen Lainchbury (1947-1960) (his death)
- The Sleeping Cardinal (1931) (US title: Sherlock Holmes' Fatal Hour) based on Doyle's two stories, "The Final Problem" and "The Adventure of the Empty House"
- The Missing Rembrandt (1932) (still considered lost) based on "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton"
- The Sign of Four: Sherlock Holmes' Greatest Case (1932)
- The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (1935) based on The Valley of Fear
- Silver Blaze (1937) (US title:Murder at the Baskervilles, release 1941) based on "Silver Blaze"
Silver Blaze was renamed Murder at the Baskervilles on its US release in order to make the most of the publicity which had been generated by Basil Rathbone's version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. In many respects Wontner's film can be seen as a sequel as it is set twenty years after the events of the more famous story.
- Lady Windermere's Fan (1916)
- The Bigamist (1916)
- Bonnie Prince Charlie (1923)
- The Diamond Man (1924)
- Eugene Aram (1924)
- The Infamous Lady (1928)
- A Gentleman of Paris (1931)
- The Sleeping Cardinal (1931)
- The Sign of Four (1932)
- The Missing Rembrandt (1932)
- Condemned to Death (1932)
- The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (1935)
- Royal Cavalcade (1935)
- Line Engaged (1935)
- Dishonour Bright (1936)
- Second Bureau (1937)
- The Live Wire (1937)
- Thunder in the City (1937)
- Silver Blaze (1937)
- Storm in a Teacup
- The Terror (1938)
- 13 Men and a Gun (1938)
- Kate Plus Ten (1938)
- Old Iron (1938)
- The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
- Blanche Fury (1948)
- The Elusive Pimpernel (1950)
- Brandy for the Parson (1952)
- Genevieve (1953)
- Sea Devils (1953)
- Three Cases of Murder (1955)
- Detective-Mystery Films
- Allen Eyles (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. pp. 81–83. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- Allen Eyles (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. pp. 86–88. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- Murder At The Baskervilles (1937)
- Alan Barnes (2002). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Reynolds & Hearn Ltd. pp. 193–194. ISBN 1-903111-04-8.
- Alan Barnes (2002). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Reynolds & Hearn Ltd. p. 94. ISBN 1-903111-04-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arthur Wontner.|
- Arthur Wontner at the Internet Movie Database
- Murder at the Baskervilles (1937) viewable at Archive.org
- The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (1935) viewable at Archive.org
- The Sign Of Four (1932) viewable at Archive.org
- Sherlock Holmes: The Sleeping Cardinal (1931) viewable at Archive.org