Article processing charge
An article processing charge (APC), also known as a publication fee, is a fee which is sometimes charged to authors in order to publish an article in an open access academic journal. This fee is usually paid by an author's institution or research funder rather than by the author themselves.
Open access journals use a variety of ways to generate the income required to cover publishing costs, such as subsidies from institutions. A majority of open access journals do not charge Article Processing Charges, but a significant and growing number of them do. They are the most common funding method for professionally published open access articles.
Different academic publishers have widely varying levels of fees, from under $100 to over $3,000. High fees are sometimes charged by traditional publishers in order to publish in a hybrid open access journal, which make an individual article in a subscription journal open access. The average APC for hybrid journals has been calculated to be almost twice as high as APCs from full open access publishers. Journals with high impact factors from major publishers tend to have the highest APCs. Many open access publishers, such as PLOS, waive their APCs for those who cannot afford to pay them.
- Solomon, David J.; Björk, Bo-Christer (August 2012). "A study of open access journals using article processing charges". Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 63 (8): 1485–1495. doi:10.1002/asi.22673. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "The Potential Role for Intermediaries in Managing the Payment of Open Access Article Processing Charges (APCs)". Research Information Network. October 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Suber, Peter (2012). Open access. MIT Press. pp. 138–139. ISBN 9780262517638.
- Suber, Peter (2012). Open access. MIT Press. p. 136. ISBN 9780262517638.
- Kozak, Marcin; Hartley, James (December 2013). "Publication fees for open access journals: Different disciplines—different methods". Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 64 (12). doi:10.1002/asi.22972.
- Laakso, Mikael; Björk, Bo-Christer (2012). "Anatomy of open access publishing: a study of longitudinal development and internal structure". BMC Medicine 10 (1): 124. doi:10.1186/1741-7015-10-124. PMC 3478161. PMID 23088823. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Björk, Bo-Christer; Solomon, David (2012). "Pricing principles used by Scholarly Open Access Publishers". Learned Publishing 25 (3). Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Björk, Bo-Christer; Solomon, David (March 2014). Developing an Effective Market for Open Access Article Processing Charges. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Publication fees". PLOS. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
|This article about an academic journal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about academic journals. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.