Arts Council Norway
Based in Oslo, it is a Norwegian state institution created in 1965 as a result of a parliamentary decision in 1964. The council is charged with managing the Norwegian culture fund, reviewing applications and allocating funds to achieve cultural objectives at the members' academic and artistic discretion, but consistent with the sitting Parliament's priorities. The council also serves as an advisory body for the public in cultural matters.
The Council may, on their own initiative, hold conferences, perform cultural experiments and initiate studies. The council annually awards the Arts Council Norway Honorary Prize (Norwegian: Norsk kulturråds ærespris).
Halvdan Skard was the director from 1983 to 1992, but was then granted an absence of leave to become chairman of the Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities. On 18 December 1992 it was announced that Lidvin Osland would serve as acting director until 1 July 1996. Osland stepped down as planned, but his successor was not appointed immediately, as the council rejected all applicants and asked for other candidates. On 20 September 1996 it was announced that Halvard Kausland had been appointed as acting director from 1 November 1996 to 31 March 2000. However, Kausland withdrew three days before actually assuming the post. The deputy director briefly advanced to become acting director during this vacancy. On 20 December Ole Jacob Bull was appointed. In early 2004 Skard finally quit as director. Bull applied to become the new director, and got the position on a permanent basis in July 2004.
- Simonsen, Mie (17 March 2006). "Retorikk og realiteter". Aftenposten (in Norwegian).
- Henriksen, Petter, ed. (2007). "Halvdan Skard". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- "Osland direktør i Norsk Kulturråd" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 18 December 1992.
- "Nye søkere ønsket til Kulturrådet". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). 5 July 1996. p. 24.
- "Halvard Kausland ny direktør i Kulturrådet" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 20 September 1996.
- "Kausland trekker seg som kulturrådsdirektør" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 29 October 1996.
- Jensen, Finn Robert (8 November 1996). "Direktør-utlysning for tredje gang". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). p. 36.
- "Ole Jacob Bull ny direktør i Kulturrådet" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 20 December 1996.
- Andreassen, Thorleif (30 January 2004). "Skard sier opp i Norsk Kulturråd". Aftenposten (in Norwegian).
- "Bull endelig direktør for Norsk kulturråd" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 2 July 2004.
- Anne Aasheim ny direktør i Kulturrådet
- Norsk Kulturråd home page in English