||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
Arun N. Netravali (born 26 May 1946 in Mumbai, India) is an Indian-American computer engineer who has contribution in digital technology including HDTV. He conducted seminal research in digital compression, signal processing and other fields. Netravali has been President of Bell Laboratories and Chief Scientist for Lucent Technologies. He was born in Bombay (now Mumbai). He received his undergraduate degree from the IIT Bombay, India, and an M.S. and a Ph.D. from Rice University in Houston, Texas all in electrical engineering. He taught at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Columbia University, and Rutgers University.
Awards and honors 
Netravali has received numerous awards and honorary degrees, including
- the IEEE Jack S. Kilby Signal Processing Medal in 2001 (together with Thomas S. Huang)
- the IEEE Frederik Philips Award in 2001
- the U.S. National Medal of Technology
- the Padma Bhushan from the Government of India
- the IEEE Alexander Graham Bell Medal in 1991 (together with C. Chapin Cutler and John O. Limb)
- elected to member of the National Academy of Engineering in 1989
- elected to IEEE Fellow in 1985
- the IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize Paper Award in 1982 (together with John O. Limb)
Selected writing 
- Arun N. Netravali and Barry G. Haskell, Digital Pictures: Representation, Compression and Standards (Applications of Communications Theory), Springer (second edition, 1995), ISBN 0-306-44917-X
- "IEEE Jack S. Kilby Signal Processing Medal Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "IEEE Jack S. Kilby Signal Processing Medal Recipients - 2001 - Thomas S. Huang and Arun N. Netravali". IEEE. Retrieved February 27, 2011.
- "IEEE Frederik Philips Award Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- Award details at Bell Labs website in 2001 and Technology Administration agency
- Photo of award ceremony
- "IEEE Alexander Graham Bell Medal Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved January 2, 2011.
- "NAE Members Directory - Dr. Arun N. Netravali". National Academy of Engineering. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "Fellow Class of 1985". IEEE. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize Paper Award Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved January 2, 2011.
|IEEE Alexander Graham Bell Medal
with C. Chapin Cutler and John O. Limb