Arvada West High School
|Arvada West High School|
|11595 Allendale Drive
Arvada, Colorado, 80004
|School district||Jefferson County Public Schools|
|Principal||Current Principle: Robert C. Bishop|
|Teaching staff||80.2 (FTE) (as of 2006-07)|
|Enrollment||1,684 (as of 2006-07)|
|Average class size||25-30|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.0 (as of 2006-07)|
|Campus size||23 acres (93,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Purple and White|
|Slogan||Excellence is our expectation|
|Athletics conference||Jefferson County League|
|Mascot||Willie the Wildcat|
Arvada West High School is a public secondary school in Arvada, Colorado. Opened in 1963, it is one of four high schools in Arvada.
Arvada West High School was contracted in 1961 and opened in 1963.
Student groups and activities include art club, care team, chess club, Close-Up, color guard, DECA, diversity club, drum line, EPYCS, FCCLA, Future Educators, French club, German club, GSA, Link Crew, math club, mock trial, National Honor Society, newspaper, Peace Jam, philosophy club, Spanish club, student government, theatre, Ultimate frisbee, vocal music, and yearbook.
The school's athletic teams, known as the Arvada West Wildcats, compete in CHSAA class 5A in the Jefferson County League. Teams are fielded in interscholastic competition in baseball, basketball, cheerleading and poms, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, volleyball
State championship titles held by the school include:
- Baseball: 1994 (6A)
- Cheerleading: 1993 (6A)
- Girls' basketball: 1978 (AAA)
- Boys' cross country: 1974 (I)
- Football: 1972 (AAA), 1997 (5A)
- Girls' soccer: 1987
- Softball: 1993 (6A), 1994 (6A), 1995 (5A), 1996 (5A), 1999 (5A), 2000 (5A)
- Boys' track and field: 1975 (AAA), 1994 (6A), 2014 (5A)
- Girls' track and field: 1976 (AAA), 1977 (AAA)
- Volleyball: 1977 (AAA)
- Wrestling: 1988 (AAA), 1992 (6A), 2014 (5A)
- Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies pitcher
- Casey Malone, Olympic discus thrower
- Jayne McHugh, member of the United States women's national volleyball team in the 1988 Summer Olympics
- John Roush, University of Oklahoma football player, drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 1975 NFL Draft
- Annie Brunner (2010), University of Colorado at Boulder Soccer Star 2012 Olympic Team *
- Barry Kooser (1987), Artist, Painter, Animation Filmmaker, CCO of Worker Studio
Brad Pyatt, NFL Player for the Indianapolis Colts in 2003, as an undrafted free agent. Now CEO of the company MusclePharm.
- "Arvada West High School". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "School Detail for Arvada West High School". National Center for Education Statistics.
- "Place Names Directory - Arvada West High School". Jefferson County, Colorado Archives & Records Management.
- Cummins, Cathy (1998-02-21). "West Arvada seeks silver lining in new high school". Rocky Mountain News. "The school, funded through a bond issue approved in November, will cost $26 million and alleviate pressure on overcrowded Arvada West High School."
- "State Team Champions". Colorado High School Activities Association.
- Willis, Paul (2007-07-04). "Halladay's talent was obvious early on". Rocky Mountain News. "As a high school player at Arvada West, Roy Halladay was physically superior to his peers and was a cinch for the all-conference team."
- "Casey Malone". USA Track & Field. 2009-12-28.
- "Feddersen earns Olympic berth". Denver Post. 1992-01-26. p. 3B. "A reception at Arvada West High School will begin at 2:30 pm Tuesday for Jayne Gibson McHugh, a 1978 graduate of the school and member of the 1988 US..."
- Moss, Irv (1989-10-25). "Unruh opted for warmth". Denver Post. "John Roush of Arvada West was an all-Big Eight and All-America guard..."