|Asad Ali Abidi|
Asad Abidi (on left) receiving the IEEE Pederson Award in 2008
|Born||July 12, 1956|
University of California, Los Angeles
Lahore University of Management Sciences
|Alma mater||Imperial College, London
University of California, Berkeley
|Doctoral advisor||Robert Meyer|
|Doctoral students||William Colleran
|Known for||CMOS RF
RF Circuit Modeling
|Notable awards||IEEE Donald O. Pederson Award in Solid-State Circuits (2008)
IEEE Third Millennium Medal
IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize Paper Award
Member of the National Academy of Engineering
Asad Ali Abidi (born July 12, 1956) is a Pakistani electrical engineer, who was the first dean of the Lahore University of Management Sciences's School of Science and Engineering. He is a Professor of electrical and electronic engineering at both the University of California, Los Angeles and the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Lahore, Pakistan. He is one of the few Pakistanis who have been elected into the National Academy of Engineering, and is a member of the Third World Academy of Sciences.
Life and education
Dr Abidi received his early education from Cadet College Hasan Abdal, Pakistan. He received his B.Sc. degree (with first-class honors) in electrical engineering from the Imperial College, London, U.K. in 1976. Later he went to United States where he attended University of California, Berkeley. He received his M.Sc. degrees in electrical engineering in 1978 and a Ph.D in 1981 under the supervision of Robert Meyer. He is an IEEE Fellow and a member of the United States National Academy of Engineering (NAE). He joined LUMS School of Science and Engineering as its first Dean and helped shape the early days of this new institution The school is modeled along the lines of world's leading technical universities, primarily MIT and Caltech.
Since 1985, Abidi has held a position at UCLA, where he is currently a Distinguished Chancellor's Professor. From 1981 to 1984, he was with Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, as a Member of Technical Staff at the Advanced LSI Development Laboratory. He was a Visiting Faculty Researcher at Hewlett Packard Laboratories in 1989. He is one of only a few Pakistani-origin members of the NAE. and was recognized as an ISSCC top ten author.
He served as the Program Secretary for the IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) from 1984 to 1990, and was the General Chairman of the Symposium on VLSI Circuits in 1992. He was the Secretary of the IEEE Solid-State Circuits Council from 1990 to 1991. From 1992 to 1995, he was the Editor of the IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits.
Awards and recognitions
- 2009 Third World Academy of Sciences
- 2008 UCLA HSSEAS Lockheed Martin Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2008 IEEE Donald O. Pederson Award in Solid-State Circuits
- "For pioneering and sustained contributions in the development of RF-CMOS"
- 2007 National Academy of Engineering
- "For contributions to the development of integrated circuits for MOS RF communications"
- Top 10 contributors to the ISSCC in its 50 year history
- 2000 IEEE Third Millennium Medal
- 1998 Design Contest Award at the Design Automation Conference
- 1997 ISSCC Jack Raper Outstanding Technology Directions Paper Award
- 1997 IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize Paper Award
- 1996 Best Paper Award of the 21st European Solid State Circuits Conference
- 1988 TRW Award for Innovative Teaching Postdoctoral Research Associate
Fellowships and academy membership
- An IEEE Fellow (1996)
- A member of the United States National Academy of Engineering (NAE) (2007)
- Associate Fellow, Third World Academy of Sciences (2009)
- Ahmad Mirzaei, Asad Abidi, Analysis and Design of IF and RF Circuits for SDR Receivers: Anti-aliasing Pre-filters, Accurate and Low-noise Quadrature LO Generation and Injection-locked Dividers, VDM Verlag, 2008
- Emad Hegazi, Jacob Rael, and Asad Abidi, The Designer's Guide to High-Purity Oscillators, Springer, 2005. ISBN 1-4020-7666-5
- Asad A. Abidi, P. R. Gray, and R. G. Meyer, editors, Integrated Circuits for Wireless Communications, IEEE Press, NY, 1998
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) .
- "UCLA Electrical Engineering - Asad Abidi, Professor". The University of California. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "NAE Member directories - Dr. Asad A. Abidi". U.S. National Academy of Engineering. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- [dead link]
- MIT, Stanford professors at LUMS today, Daily Times, January 16, 2007.
- "IEEE Donald O. Pederson Award in Solid-State Circuits Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "Asad Abidi, Mark Horowitz and Teresa Meng Elected to U. S. National Academy of Engineering". IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society. April 2007. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize Paper Award Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved November 11, 2010.