|Asaduddin Owaisi – President of AIMIM|
|Member of the India Parliament
May 13, 2004
|Preceded by||Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi|
|Majority||2,02,454 (21.14%) (2014)|
13 May 1969 |
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
|Political party||All India Majlis-e Ittihad al-Muslimin.|
|Relations||Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi (Father)
Akbaruddin Owaisi (Brother)
Burhanuddin Owaisi (brother)
|Children||5 daughters and 1 son|
|Residence||36–149, Hyderguda, Hyderabad-500 029
34, Ashoka Road, New Delhi-110 001.
|Alma mater||Hyderabad Public School
BA (Osmania University)
Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln's Inn)
Asaduddin Owaisi (Hyderabad) is a politician, who is the President of the All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen. He is a three-time Member of Parliament (MP), representing the Hyderabad constituency in Lok Sabha, the Lower House of the Indian Parliament. He was honoured with Sansad Ratna Award for overall best performance in 15th Lok Sabha in 2014.13 May 1968,
Asaduddin Owaisi was born in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (present Telangana). His father Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi was also a politician and a former Member of Parliament from Hyderabad, for six consecutive terms.His mother's name is Najamunnisa. Asad studied at the Hyderabad Public School and the St. Mary's Junior Collage, Hyderabad. He graduated as a Bachelor of Arts from the Nizam College, Osmania University. He later went to London, where he studied L.L.B, and Barrister-at-Law (Lincolns Inn), England. He is often referred as Naqeeb-e-Millat ("Leader of the community") by his supporters. He has two younger brothers, Akbaruddin Owaisi and Burhanuddin Owaisi. Akbar is the member of the Telangana Legislative Assembly from the Chandrayangutta Assembly constituency, while Burhanuddin is the editor of the local Urdu daily "Etemad".
Asaduddin Owaisi was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) in 1994 and 1999. Subsequently, he was elected as an MP in 2004 and 2009. In response to the 2012 Assam violence, he warned that a lack of proper rehabilitation of the Muslim victims may lead to radicalization of the Muslim youth in India. On 20 January 2013, he was remanded to judicial custody for 14 days in a 2005 case, and later shifted to Sangareddy jail. The case related to an MIM protest against the demolition of a mosque for a road-widening project in Medak district, on 16 April 2005 where Police booked him under various charges including criminal intimidation, rioting and promoting enmity between religious groups. Asaduddin Owaisi was given the 2014 Sansad Ratna Award for his distinguished performance in the 15th Lok Sabha.
In 2009,a case was registered against Asaduddin Owaisi on the order of Election Commission of India,for chasing and beating up Syed Saleemuddin, a polling agent of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in the Maghalpura area. He and his brother had also been jailed for threatening the district collector of Medak district in 2005 for a road widening issue. In March 2013,Asaduddin Owaisi was detained for organising rally without permission and carrying gun without license in Bidar,Karnataka. In January 2014,he urged the Muslims to not watch Salman Khan's film Jai Ho as he praised Narendra Modi. Reacting to this, Salman said that he is half Hindu and half Muslim. So, he has closeness to both the communities. His mother is Hindu, his father is Muslim and there is nothing else, he would want to have them together. Currently, he has four cases against him which were taken cognisance of by various courts of law between 2001 and 2011. While charges in three cases have not been framed, charges in a fourth case with IX JMSC in Naded, Maharashtra have been framed.
In June 2014, Owaissi is said to have delivered hate speech against Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking Muslim community's support to his party.
|01||1994||1999||MLA, Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly|
|02||1999||2003||MLA, Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly|
|03||2004||2009||Elected to 14th Lok Sabha|
|04||2004||2006||Member, Committee on Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme|
|05||2004||2006||Member, Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment|
|06||2006||2007||Member, Standing Committee on Defence|
|07||2009||2014||Elected to 15th Lok Sabha|
|08||2009||2014||Member, Committee on Defence|
|09||2009||2014||Member, Committee on Ethics|
|10||2009||2014||Leader, All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul Muslimeen, Parliamentary Party|
|11||2014||current||Elected to 16th Lok Sabha|
- "Lok Sabha profile". Lok Sabha website. Retrieved Aug 2012.
- "Lok Sabha". 18.104.22.168. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "No Hot-Spurring - Madhavi Tata". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- J. S. Ifthekhar. "With mobile app, Majlis hopes to create buzz on social media". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "After Adopting Social Media MIM President Asaduddin Owaisi Launches Mobile App". Lighthouseinsights.in. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Heroes of 15th Lok Sabha to be honoured at Chennai on 22nd February 2014 at Chennai Press Club". Sansad Ratna Official website. 21 December 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Asaduddin Owaisi bags Sansad Award 2014". Twocircles.net. 24 December 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "The Hindu : Another Owaisi set to enter politics?". Hindu.com. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Owaisi brothers eyeing Muslims beyond Andhra Pradesh for their political gain : The Big Story - India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "B’day Special: Asaduddin Owaisi, AIMIM chief who is contesting from Hyderabad LS seat". Indiatvnews.com. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Deconstructing the hate politics of Owaisi brothers". www.oneindia.com. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Google Groups". Groups.google.com. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Asad Uddin Owaisi اسد الدین او یسی - About - Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Be Ready for a Third Wave of Radicalization Among Muslim Youth". Outlook India. 10 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- MIM President Asaduddin Owaisi Placed in Judicial Custody for 2005 Medak Abuse Case. International Business Times (21 January 2013)
- "Asad Owaisi is ‘Sansad Ratna’". Shajiullah Firasat. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Heroes of 15th Lok Sabha to be honoured at Chennai on 22 February 2014 at Chennai Press Club". Sansadratna.in. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Poll panel for stern action against Owaisi". IBNLive. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Rioting case filed against MIM leader Owaisi". IBNLive. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "2005 protest case: Asaduddin Owaisi remanded to judicial custody, hearing on bail plea on Tuesday". IBNLive. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Karnataka: Asaduddin Owaisi detained for organising rally without permission, carrying gun without license". IBNLive. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Owaisi asks his supporters not to watch Salman Khan's 'Jai Ho'". IBNLive. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Aswathy Gopala Krishnan (June 5, 2014). "Hate speech against Modi: Asaduddin Owaisi's video goes viral". oneindia.in.
- "Will do everything to prevent Narendra Modi from becoming PM: Assaduddin Owaisi". dna. 15 April 2014.
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Asaduddin Owaisi.|
Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi
|Member of Parliament from Hyderabad
2004 – present
Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi
|President of All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen