Asaf playing the drums 2014
March 22, 1969 |
|Genres||Jazz-fusion, rock, world music|
|Occupation(s)||Drummer, composer, Educator|
|Labels||Stonedbird Productions, ACT, Universal, 33 Record, Cam Jazz, Caligula|
|Associated acts||Asaf Sirkis Trio, Asaf Sirkis & the Inner Noise, Tim Garland, Larry Coryell, Gwilym Simcock, Jeff Berlin, Gary Husband, Nicalas Meier|
Sirkis moved to Tel Aviv in 1993, and formed a trio in 1995 featuring Kobi Arad on keyboards and Gabriel Mayer on bass. After recording his first trio album One Step Closer(1996) he formed a new band - The Inner Noise in 1997. The Inner Noise is a unique trio and was the first jazz/rock group to incorporate drums, church organ and drums.
He left Israel in 1998, settling in London in 1999. In 2000 Asaf re-formed the Inner Noise trio with Steve Lodder on church organ and Mike Outram on guitar. The band has recorded three acclaimed albums since 2000 (Inner Noise, We Are Falling and The Song Within'). He formed The Orient House Ensemble with Gilad Atzmon in 2000 and they have recorded 7 albums, including Exile, which won "Best CD of the Year" at the BBC Jazz Award 2003 while the band was nominated for "Best Band" in 2004. Sirkis left the OHE band in 2009 to focus on his solo career.
In 2014 Sirkis, together with Polish vocalist Sylwia Bialas, formed the Sirkis/Bialas International Quartet featuring pianist Frank Harrison and USA bassist/harmonica player Patrick Bettison. The band has released their first album Come To Me in November 2014 and is currently touring extensively.
In recent times, Asaf is evolved in a variety of educational work, bringing Konnakol the art of the south Indian vocal percussion as a useful tool of understanding rhythm to western musicians. Notably he has given many workshops and seminars on the subject and has a youtube channel with some basic Konnakol tutorials.
- Asaf Sirkis Trio, Shepherds Stories (2013), selected twice as one of best album of 2013 on the All About Jazz website
- Asaf Sirkis Trio, Letting Go (2010)
- Asar Sirkis Trio, The Monk (2008), jazz CD of the week in The Evening Standard
- Asaf Sirkis & The Inner Noise, The Song Within (2007)
- Asaf Sirkis & The Inner Noise, We are Falling (2005)
- Asaf Sirkis & The Inner Noise, Inner Noise (2003), CD of the year in Australian Radio
- Asaf Sirkis Trio, One Step Closer (1998)
- Auftakt für Internationales Palatia Jazz Festival in Speyer, Welt Online, 6 June 2012
- Jazz breaking news: Gwilym Simcock, Tim Garland and Asaf Sirkis shine as luminous Lighthouse fill the Forge, by Stephen Graham, 16 May 2012