Asahi Glass Co.
|Traded as||TYO: 5201
Nikkei 225 Component
|Founded||Amagasaki, Hyōgo, Japan (September 17, 1921 )|
|Headquarters||1-5-1, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8405, Japan|
|Key people||Kazuhiko Ishimura, (CEO and President)|
|Revenue||¥ 1,320 billion) (FY 2013)|
$ 157 million (FY 2013)(¥ 16.139 billion) (FY 2013)
51,500 (consolidated) (as of December 31, 2013)
|Subsidiaries||AGC Glass Europe
AGC America, Inc.
AGC Automotive Glass Mexico S.A. de C.V.
AGC Micro Glass (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.
Asahi India Glass,Ltd.
Asahi Glass Co., Ltd. (旭硝子株式会社 Asahi Garasu Kabushiki-gaisha?), more commonly known as AGC, is a global glass manufacturing company, headquartered in Tokyo. It is one of the core Mitsubishi companies.
Asahi Glass was founded on 8 September 1907 by Toshiya Iwasaki, the second son of the second president of the original Mitsubishi zaibatsu. It was the first Japanese producer of sheet glass. Asahi Glass Co. is one of the largest flat glass producing companies in the world, owning Glaverbel glass plants across Europe and AFG Industries in North America.
Its main areas of production are:
- Automotive glass and industrial material
- Bio-technology and environment
- Commodity and performance chemicals
- Display glass
- Electronic materials and products
- Flat glass and construction material
- Optics and telecommunication
Subsidiaries and affiliates
- AGC Chemicals Americas, Inc.
- AGC Chemicals Europe Ltd.
- AIS India Glass Ltd.
- Asahi Fiber Glass Co., Ltd.
- Asahi Techno Glass Corp.
- Ise Chemical Industries Co., Ltd.
- Optrex Corp.
- Asahi Glass Foundation
- AGC Glass Europe (formerly known as Glaverbel)
Price-fixing scandal in Europe
AGC Flat Glass Europe was one of the four flat-glass manufacturers involved in the 2007 price fixing scandal uncovered by the EU Competition Commission. The European Commission said that the firms had raised or stabilised prices in 2004 and 2005 through illicit contacts. Neelie Kroes, the EU's competition commissioner, said that the EU would "not tolerate companies cheating consumers and business customers by fixing prices and depriving them of the benefits of the single market".
AIS India Glass Ltd
Asahi India Glass Ltd. is jointly promoted by Asahi Glass Co.Ltd. (AGC), Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (MSIL) and B. M Labroo & Associates. Incorporated in 1984, the Company has grown from being a ‘single-plant single-customer’ company to a glass company with 12 plants and customers spanning across India. Asahi India Glass Ltd. is a public limited Company listed on the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange with around 55,000 shareholders. Asahi India Glass Ltd. has 3 Strategic Business Units (SBUs):
In addition, the corporate functions of Asahi India Glass Ltd. manage, support and coordinate the activities of all three SBUs.
- "Corporate Profile". Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Financial Statements". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "TOPIX Core30 Components". Tokyo Stock Exchange, Inc. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Components:Nikkei Stock Average". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Antitrust: Commission fines flat glass producers € 486.9 million for price fixing cartel
- Neelie Kroes says that EU will not tolerate companies cheating consumers and business customers by fixing prices
- Official website (English)