Sachdev in 2012
Asha Sachdev is a noted Bollywood character actor of the 1970s, though she acted in a few early films as a lead actress, including the hit spy film, Agent Vinod (1977). She won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for Priyatama in 1978.
Asha was an alumna of the Film and Television Institute of India, Pune and joined Bollywood with the passion to make it as a leading lady. She began her career in a low-budget film Double Cross in 1972 wherein she played a bold and dynamic role. Somehow the image stuck and thereafter she was offered only supporting and bold characters. Her bare dare appearance in red hot pants in the Navin Nishchol-Rekha star thriller Woh Main Nahin (1974) created a storm and she was flooded with item dance offers and vamp roles.
She won the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award for her role as Neetu Singh's best friend in Priyatama in 1978. She won the award for a role which was totally deglamorised, wherein she wore a simple saree and was bespectacled throughout the film. Some of her notable films are Satte Pe Satta, Duniya meri jeb mein, Judaai, Premrog etc.
She was seen playing character roles in films like Fiza, Aghaaz, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom & Aaja Nachle. In television, she worked in early soap opera, Buniyaad (1986), and in 2008, she also appeared in TV series, Jugni Chali Jalandhar on SAB TV, with actor Ranjeet.
- Bindiya Aur Bandook (1972)
- Double Cross (1972)
- Hifazat (1973)
- Lafange (1974)
- Mehbooba (1976)
- Mama Bhanja (1977)
- Agent Vinod (1977)
- Priyatama (1978)
- The Burning Train (1980)
- Jwala Daku (1981)
- Satte Pe Satta (1982)
- Ek Nai Paheli (1984)
- Eeshwar (1989)
- Fiza (2000)
- Jha, Subhash K.; Bachchan, Amitabh (2005-11-01). The essential guide to Bollywood. Roli Books Private Limited. pp. 1999–. ISBN 978-81-7436-378-7. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- "Shake a leg with the golden era queens". DNA (newspaper). Jun 21, 2010. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- "Shriman Bond". Mint. Jan 19, 2008. Retrieved Apr 23, 2013.
- "Ranjeet’s little secret is out". The Times of India. Dec 23, 2008. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
|This article about an Indian actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|