|Asher B. Edelman|
Asher Edelman, 1993, by Erling Mandelmann.
November 26, 1939 |
New York City
|Occupation||Investor, art collector|
Asher Barry Edelman (born November 26, 1939) began his career on Wall Street in 1961. In 1969 he formed Mack, Bushnell and Edelman where he was CEO. Edelman’s Wall Street businesses included Investment Banking, Money Management, and Derivatives trading. In 1988, he taught a course called "Corporate Raiding - The Art of War" at Columbia Business School, using as his textbook Sun Tzu's The Art of War.
In 1988, he moved to Switzerland and founded a contemporary art museum in Pully, near Lausanne. The FAE Musée d'Art Contemporain launched the first European retrospective exhibitions of Robert Mapplethorpe, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Roy Lichtenstein, and Peter Halley. It also was the first venue for “Post Human” an exhibition co-curated by Chantal Prod’hom of the FAE and Jeffrey Deitch.
In 2002, he created the company Edelman Arts Inc, a dealer in Impressionism through Post War art, which also represents contemporary artists including Doug Argue, Yasmine Chatila, Cathy McClure and Christopher Winter.
Edelman has served on many Boards of Trustees of art and educational institutions including past Chairman of the Board of Brooklyn Academy of Music, Vice Chairman of American Ballet Theatre, Vice Chairman of the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater, Chairman of the Karole Armitage Dance Group, board member of the Prix de Lausanne, Gotham Chamber Opera, and many others. He presently serves on the boards of The Studio School and Bard College.
- "NYS Department of State Division of Corporations Entity Information". Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- Behar, Richard, Time Magazine, December 11, 1989, "", Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "POST HUMAN - Flash Art". Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- Sandler, Linda, Bloomberg News, January 16, 2008, "", Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "Asher Edelman Interview (video) - Bloomberg News". Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- Official Asher Edelman Blog
- Edelman Arts Gallery (requires Flash player)
- Art Assure Ltd
- Henkel, Christiane (2010-06-28), Of Wars and Culture: How Corporate Raider Asher Edelman became an art dealer and financier. NZZ (CH - English translation can be found here).
- Yoon, Al (2010-05-18), Art Comes of Age as an Investment for the Rich and Famous. ArtDaily.
- Crow, Kelly (2010-02-05), The Art World's Gordon Gekko. The Wall Street Journal.
- FOX Business News (2010-03-02), Top Five Artists to Invest In (video).
- Harris, Patty (October 2008), Asher Edelman Interview. Whitehot Magazine.
- Azimi, Roxana (2008-10-03), Asher Edelman, galeriste et collectionneur. Le Journal des Arts, no. 288.
- Douglas, Sarah (August 2008), Asher Edelman. Art + Auction.
- Haden-Guest, Anthony (2007-05-26), More Than Just A Raider's Gallery. Financial Times.
- CNBC, The Strategy Session (2010-11-23), The Original Corporate Raider (video).
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|