Ashikaga Yoshikazu (足利 義量, August 27, 1407 – March 17, 1425) was the 5th shogun of the Ashikaga shogunate who reigned from 1423 to 1425 during the Muromachi period of Japan. Yoshikazu was the son of the fourth shogun Ashikaga Yoshimochi.
Yoshimochi ceded power to his son, and Yoshikazu became Seii Taishogun at age 18; but he would die within two years. According to Oguri Hangan ichidaiki, Yoshikazu's death was hastened by a life of drunken dissipation.
Significant events shape the period during which Yoshikazu was shogun:
- 1423 – Yoshikazu appointed shogun.
- 1424 – Go-Kameyama dies.
- 1425 – Yoshikazu dies; Yoshimochi resumes the responsibilities of office.
- 1428 – Yoshimochi dies; Shōkō dies; Go-Hanazono ascends throne in second repudiation of agreement.
Era of Yoshikazu's bakufu
- Ōei (1394–1428)
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du japon, p. 329., p. 329, at Google Books
- Titsingh, p. 329., p. 329, at Google Books; Screech, Timon. (2006). Secret Memoirs of the Shoguns: Isaac Titsingh and Japan, 1779–1822, p. 234 n.10; n.b., Yoshikasu (b. 1407 – named shogun in 1423) = 18yrs. In this period, "children were considered one year old at birth and became two the following New Year's Day; and all people advanced a year that day, not on their actual birthday."]
- Titsingh, p. 330., p. 330, at Google Books
- DeBenneville, James S. (1915) ''Tales of the Samurai: Oguri Hangan ichidaiki, p. 136., p. 136, at Google Books
- Ackroyd, Joyce. (1982) Lessons from History: The Tokushi Yoron, p. 330.
- Titsingh, p. 333., p. 333, at Google Books
- Titsingh, pp. 320-327., p. 320, at Google Books
- Ackroyd, Joyce I. (1982) Lessons from History: the Tokushi Yoron. Brisbane: University of Queensland Press. 10-ISBN 070221485X/13-ISBN 9780702214851; OCLC 7574544
- De Benneville, James S. (1915) Tales of the Samurai: Oguri Hangan ichidaiki, being the story of the lives, the adventures, and the misadventures of the Hangwan-dai Kojirō Sukeshige and Terute-hime, his wife.. Yokohama: The Fukuin Printing Co. OCLC 45027056
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Nihon Odai Ichiran; ou, Annales des empereurs du Japon. Paris: Royal Asiatic Society, Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland. OCLC 585069