Ashim Ahluwalia, 2011
|Occupation||Film director, producer & screenwriter|
|Awards||Indian National Film Award
2007 – Best Non-Fiction Film, John & Jane
Ashim Ahluwalia (born 1972 in Bombay, India) is a film director and screenwriter. He made his directorial debut with the feature-length documentary John & Jane (2005), which had a world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival and a European premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival, and won him the 2005 National Film Award for Best First Non-Feature Film of a Director. This was followed by his first narrative feature film Miss Lovely which premiered at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
Working outside the mainstream Bollywood film system, Ashim Ahluwalia is one of a new generation of Indian directors which prefers to eschew working with Hindi film stars. His unconventional films blur the lines between documentary and fiction. His short films have shown at the Tate Modern, the Centre Pompidou and at the Venice Architecture Biennale.
Ahluwalia began his film career with a series of experimental films made between 1993-2002. His first short, The Dust (1993), was made by reworking home movies shot by his grandfather in the 1950s.
He formed an independent production company, Future East, in 2005, providing an infrastructure for him to work outside mainstream film channels.
In May 2013, he received the Charles Flint Kellogg Award in Arts and Letters from Bard College, his alma mater. The award is "given in recognition of a significant contribution to artistic or literary heritage."
- John & Jane (2006)
- Miss Lovely (2012)
Short films and installations
- The Dust (1993)
- A Short Season (1995)
- Thin Air (1999)
- Development Plan (2007) with artist Neha Choksi and Architect Kapil Gupta (Installation for 10th Venice Architecture Biennale)
- "53rd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals.
- "2012 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "Indian movie Miss Lovely at Cannes film fest". Times of India. Retrieved 2012-04-21.[dead link]
- The Filter
- DNA - 'I don't need SRK to make a Hindi movie
- Tate Modern|Film|Shai Heredia
- DNA - Salon - 'Mumbai uses space cunningly' - Daily News & Analysis
- 12 October 2005 "Scratch Projection 'Experimenta India'". Les Voutes.
- San Francisco Film Society Artists-in-Residence Spring-2013-Ashim-Ahluwalia
- . Bard College Bard College Catalogue http://www.bard.edu/catalogue/index.php?aid=11104&sid=669293;– Bard College Catalogue. Retrieved May 4, 2012. Missing or empty
- Koehler, Robert. (October 13, 2005), "John & Jane". Variety
- Stone, Susan (March 9, 2006), "Indian by Day, American by Night". Der Spiegel.
- Pasolini, Antonio. "Dispatch: The Osnabrück Media Art Festival, Germany, 10-14 May 2006". kamera.co.uk. Retrieved November 15, 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashim Ahluwalia.|
- Ashim Ahluwalia at the Internet Movie Database
- John & Jane: HBO Website 
- John & Jane: Official Website