Ashland High School (Ashland, Ohio)
|Ashland High School|
|1440 King Road
Ashland, Ohio, (Ashland County), 44805
|Superintendent||Douglas J. Marrah (http://www.ashlandcityschools.org/district/content-page/superintendents-office)|
|Asst. Principal||Jon Walter(http://www.ashlandcityschools.org/hs/content-page/high-school-staff-directory)|
|Color(s)||Black and Orange |
|Athletics conference||Ohio Cardinal Conference|
|Athletic Director||Richard Brindley|
Ashland High School (AHS) is a school of around 1,200 students. Class offerings include 3 foreign languages (Spanish, French, and Latin), a post secondary program and several Advanced Placement (A.P.) courses (including A.P. Chemistry, A.P. Biology, A.P. Calculus, A.P. U.S. History, A.P. Statistics, A.P. English, A.P. Government, and A.P. Environmental Science), as well as a music program which includes 3 Choirs (Concert, Symphonic, and A Capella), two concert bands (wind ensemble and symphonic band), a marching band, two jazz bands, and an orchestra. Ashland High School also publishes the Panorama, a weekly newspaper which has won national awards several times.
One of the more noted annual events is the spring musical. Recent productions include Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Beauty and the Beast, Damn Yankees, Oliver!, Grease, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Curtains, Cinderella, Elton Johns and Tim Rices Aida, and George Gershwins and Ira Gershwins Crazy for You, which took place in February 2014.
As of 2010, the principal of AHS is Tom Marquette. The school teams are called the "Ashland Arrows" and school colors are orange and black.
Ashland High School has a long tradition in sports, especially baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, track and field, football and golf. The boys varsity golf teams have the only state championships recorded in school history, in 1962 and 1998. The boys and girls golf teams advanced to the OHSAA Division 1 State Golf Championships in 2008 and the girls team returned to the championships in 2009 where senior Rachel Thompson received medalist runner-up honors.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Academic Team—Teams of students compete in a game of trivia from every subject from history to math to science to the "just plain weird."
- Mock Trial—Ashland's Mock Trial team is one of the more successful programs at Ashland High School, advancing to the state competition every year for the past 11 years.
- History Club—Founded by two history teachers, Mrs. Graham and Miss Nixon, History Club brings in speakers and encourages students to get involved with history.
- Latin Club—The AHS Latin Club functions as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL), promoting higher understanding of Latin language, history and culture.
- Drama Club—Students in Drama Club put on three major productions a year including a fall play, the previously mentioned spring musical, and a spring play. The lighting and sound for the plays are generally done by students while they are hired out for the musical. The drama club also goes on trips to see shows being performed in the area. Students recently attended the Ashland University production of Arthur Miller's The Crucible.
- While not a club, the annual Fall Follies and Spring Battle of the Bands are also always huge hits. Many students come to watch their peers, teachers, and administration perform live on stage. All types of pieces are performed ranging from student originals to the AHS Jazz Band. The lighting, sound, and special effects for these shows are also designed and run by students.
- Future Farmers of America (FFA) -- The Ashland FFA is one of the oldest chapters in Ohio. They do several fund raisers throughout the year, including a citrus sale and Christmas tree sale.
- Ernest Cline - Novelist and Screenwriter.
- Johnny Roseboro - Former MLB player (Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins, Washington Senators)
- Tim Seder - Former National Football League player with the Dallas Cowboys and Jacksonville Jaguars 
- Robert Springer - NASA astronaut; http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/springer-rc.html
Notable faculty members
- Dan Fuller - Former All-American football player. At the end of his college career he received free-agent tryouts with the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals and Green Bay Packers.
- Rich Wasowski - Author of numerous CliffsNotes, English teacher, producer of the annual musical.
- Barry Fortune - Journalism/English teacher and adviser of The Panorama, the school's award-winning newspaper that produces the only color weekly high school newspaper in America.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Archived from the original on 31 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "2009 Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. 2009. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "2010 State Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). OJCL.org. Ohio Junior Classical League. 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "Constitution of the Ohio Junior Classical League" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. March 2008. Retrieved 18 September 2009.
...by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- It's showtime Ashland graduate Ernie Cline breaks into the movies with script for Fanboys
- "Johnny Roseboro Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Josie Karp. "A real kick: Former high-school coach lands in Dallas". CNN. Retrieved 2006-12-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashland High School (Ashland, Ohio).|