Ashland State Park
|Ashland State Park|
|Massachusetts State Park|
The spillway below the reservoir dam
|- elevation||230 ft (70 m)|
|Area||470 acres (190 ha)|
|Managed by||Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation|
|Website : Ashland State Park|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ashland State Park|
Ashland State Park is a 470-acre (190 ha), multi-use, Massachusetts state park located in the town of Ashland. The park is managed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation and includes the 157-acre (64 ha) Ashland Reservoir which was completed in 1895. When the reservoir was taken out of service the property was converted to a state park. The reservoir's dam and spillway are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The park was not staffed from 2009 through 2012 due to budget cuts, and in 2012, DCR declared the park was no longer "a designated swimming area." In November 2012, the state announced that the park would reopen in 2013 with staff and lifeguards and with money spent to restore facilities that had deteriorated during the shutdown.
Activities and amenities
- Ashland Reservoir: The reservoir offers wheelchair-accessible restrooms, picnic grounds and swimming beach, plus a ramp for motorized and non-motorized boating and fishing.
- Trails: Trails may be used for hiking, bicycling, and cross-country skiing.
- "Ashland State Park". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Hatch, Kendall and Riley, David (January 22, 2010). "Another unstaffed season for Ashland State Park". Wicked Local: Ashland (Framingham, Mass.: GateHouse Media). Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- "Notice: Ashland State Park" (Press release). DCR Massachusetts. n.d.
- Ishkanian, Ellen (November 10, 2012). "Ashland State Park reopening next year". Boston.com (Globe Newspaper Company). Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- McGagh, Ken (June 22, 2013). "Ashland State Park reopens". MetroWest Daily News (Framingham, Mass.: GateHouse Media). Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Ashland State Park Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Park Map Department of Conservation and Recreation
- KMZ (Google Earth compatible) overlay map