||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
June 22, 1953|
|Fields||Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications|
|Institutions||Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras, TeNeT Group|
|Alma mater||IIT Kanpur, University of Maine|
He leads the Telecommunications and Computer Networks group (TeNeT) at IIT Madras. This group is closely working with industry in the development of a number of Telecommunications and Computer Network Systems. TeNeT group has incubated a number of technology companies (like DesiCrew Solutions) which work in partnership with TeNeT group to develop Telecom Access products. The group has also incubated a company which aims to install and operate telephone and internet in every village in India.
He is a Director on the Board of State Bank of India. He is also a board member of several Telecom and IT companies in India, including Polaris, Sasken, Tejas Networks and HTL, NRDC, and IDRBT. He is a former board member of VSNL & BSNL.
He received his B.Tech degree from IIT Kanpur, and his MS and Ph.D degrees from the University of Maine. From 1979 to 1981, he was with Washington State University as Assistant Professor. Since 1981, he has been teaching at IIT Madras.
Contributions in Technology Innovation
- Founder of NMSWorks Software Private Limited and currently serves as its Advisor.
- Adviser at Uniphore Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
- Head of the Telecommunications and Computer Networks Group (TeNet) of IIT Madras.
- Advisory of Phasorz Technologies Private Limited
- Co-founded Novatium Solutions Private Limited.
- Adviser to the Universal Service Fund
- Independent Director of Intellect Design Arena Ltd.
- Non-Executive Director of Polaris Financial Technology since June 2001.
- Independent Director of Tata Teleservices (Maharashtra) Limted since April 12, 2007.
- Independent Director of Sasken Communication Technologies Limited since November 20, 2000.
- Independent Director at Tejas Networks Pvt. Ltd., Jataayu Software Pvt. Ltd., Vishal BharatComnet, National Research Development Corporation Ltd. and Tejas Networks Ltd. (formerly Tejas Networks India Ltd.).
- Non-Executive Director of Tata Communications Limited since October 25, 2008.
- Director of USource Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. and Intelizon Energy Private Limited.
- Board member of several companies in India, including TTML, BEL, NRDC, and IDRBT.
- Director of Midas Communication Technologies Private Limited, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL), Banyan Networks Pvt. Limited, Jataayu Software (P) Ltd., and n-Logue Communications Pvt. Limited.
- Director of Novatium Solutions Private Limited and Exicom Tele-Systems Ltd.
- Director of Institute for Development & Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT).
- Member of Governing Council of National Internet Exchange of India Ltd.
- Member of Prime Minister’s Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Director of State Bank of India from June 24, 2008 to June 23, 2011.
- Member of the Advisory Board / Governing Council on the Institute of Financial Management and Research (IFMR), Board of I-Tech (International Training and Education Centre on HIV, India), Centre of Excellence in Wireless Technology (CEWiT) and Rural Technology and Business Incubator (RTBI).
- Member of various government bodies and councils including the National Advisory Committee on Communications and Information Technology (NACCIT)- Ministry of Communications and IT, Engineering Sciences Research Committee-CSIR, National Advisory Committee- ISRO and the boards of VSNL and BSNL
- Independent Director at Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd., from August 20, 2002 to September 9, 2005.
- Director of 3i Infotech Limited from October 19, 2006 to September 15, 2014.
- Director of HTL Ltd.
- Independent Director of Bharat Electronics Limited from May 23, 2006 to May 22, 2009.
- Director of Shyam Telecom Limited until April 27, 2006.
- Independent Director of Tata Communications Limited from August 20, 2002 to September 9, 2005.
- Director of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited and Ramco Systems Limited
- Advisory Board at The Energy and Resources Institute.
Awards and Honors
- Dr.Vikram Sarabhai Research Award in the year 1997
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in 1998
- Millennium Medal at Indian Science Congress in the year 2000
- H. K. Firodia for "Excellence in Science & Technology" in the year 2002
- Padma Shri in year 2002
- Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Foundation Award for Science & Technology in the year 2004
- Jawaharlal Nehru Birth Centenary Lecture Award by INSA in the year 2006
- IBM Innovation and Leadership Forum Award by IBM in the year 2006
- Bernard Low Humanitarian Award in the year 2009
- Bharat Asmita Vigyaan-Tantragyaan Shresththa Award for the best use of Science & Technology through Innovation in the year 2010
- Honorary Doctorates by the Institute of Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden in the year 2008 and University of Maine, USA in the year 2010
- JC Bose Fellowship in the year 2010
- Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, India since 1994
- Fellow of Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi since 1999
- Fellow of The National Academy of Science, Allahabad since 1999
- Governor, International Council for Computer Communication Inc., (ICCC), 1999–2005 
- "Jhunjhunwala,Valiathan win H.K. Firodia awards". Indiatimes. September 29, 2002. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "The sky is his limit". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Ashok Jhunjhunwala, Ph.D.". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Bloomberg News: Profile of Ashok Jhunjhunwala, Ph.D.". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "IITM Ashok Jhunjhunwala". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Bioraphy Ashok Jhunjhunwala Tenet group". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Leadership NMSWORKS". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Ashok Jhunjhunwala Biography IITM". Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Indian National Science Academy". Retrieved 3 March 2015.