Ashton Applewhite is a writer based in Brooklyn, NY, whose subjects range from family policy to science and technology. Since 2007 Applewhite has been writing about ageing and ageism at This Chair Rocks. During this period, she’s become a Knight Fellow, a New York Times Fellow, an Age Boom Fellow (Columbia University School of Journalism) and a fellow at the Yale Law School's Information Society Project. The voice of Yo Is This Ageist, Applewhite has been called an expert on ageism by the New York Times. Since 2012 Applewhite has been giving a talk called This Chair Rocks: How Ageism Warps Our View of Long Lives.
Applewhite is the author of Cutting Loose: Why Women Who End Their Marriages Do So Well and other books. Under the pseudonym Blanche Knott, she is the author of the Truly Tasteless Jokes series, the first volume of which was the biggest-selling mass-market book of 1983, and was the first woman to have four books on the New York Times best-seller list. Applewhite’s memoir “Being Blanche” was published in ''Harper’s magazine in June, 2011.
She is a liaison to the board of the Council on Contemporary Families and a staff writer at the American Museum of Natural History.
- Applewhite, Ashton. Cutting Loose: Why Women Who End Their Marriages Do So Well, New York: HarperCollins, 1997.
- Applewhite, Ashton and Bernie S. Siegel. Thinking Positive: Words of Inspiration, Encouragement, and Validation for People with AIDS and Those Who Care for Them, New York: Fireside Books, 1995.
- Applewhite, Ashton; Tripp Evans; and Andrew Frothingham. And I Quote (Revised Edition): The Definitive Collection of Quotes, Sayings, and Jokes for the Contemporary Speechmaker, New York: Thomas Dunne Books; Revised edition, 2003
- Applewhite, Ashton. "Being Blanche: Coming Clean about Truly Tasteless Jokes", Harper's Magazine, June 2011, pages 65–67.
Span, Paula. (2012-09-04). “On Ageism and ‘Eastwooding”. New York Times. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
McDowell, Edwin (1990-11-19). "Many Houses Find Images Are Blurred". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Knott, Blanche. "Truly Tasteless Jokes One", Ashtonia LLC; eBook edition, 2011. ISBN 978-0-9833594-0-1
- Knott, Blanche. "Truly Tasteless Jokes Two", Ashtonia LLC; eBook edition, 2011. ISBN 978-0-9833594-1-8
- Knott, Blanche. "Truly Tasteless Jokes Three", Ashtonia LLC; eBook edition, 2011. ISBN 978-0-9833594-2-5