Ashton Raggatt McDougall
|Number of locations||2 studios|
|Services||Architecture, master planning, urban design|
Ashton Raggatt McDougall or ARM Architecture is a firm of architects based in Melbourne and Perth, Australia known for "architectural outspokenness". Founded in 1988, the firm has completed internationally renowned design work and the directors are Stephen Ashton, Howard Raggatt, Ian McDougall and Tony Allen.
Their most notable projects are Perth Arena, the National Museum of Australia in Canberra, Wanangkura Stadium in Port Hedland, the Melbourne Recital Centre and Southbank Theatre in Melbourne and the Marion Cultural Centre in Adelaide. They are also highly regarded for their heritage and renewal projects like the refurbishment of Hamer Hall at Arts Centre Melbourne, the courtyard extensions to the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne, RMIT University's Storey Hall, the redevelopment of the Melbourne Central Shopping Centre. They were also commissioned to prepare the masterplan for Melbourne Docklands, the Adelaide Riverbank and Elizabeth Quay in Perth.
A national survey of 600 architects conducted by the Architectural Review Australia found ARM to be considered the most influential architectural office in Australia in the period 1982-2007. ARM are also the only Australian firm to win the premier state award for Australian Institute of Architects five times, most recently for the Perth Arena in Western Australia. Their design work has been featured on two Australian postage stamps.
- 1994 St Kilda Library
- 1995 RMIT Storey Hall, Melbourne
- 2000 National Museum of Australia, Canberra
- 2001 Marion Cultural Centre, Adelaide
- 2005 Melbourne Central Shopping Centre
- 2006 Shrine of Remembrance Visitor Centre, Melbourne
- 2007 Albury Library Museum, New South Wales
- 2008 Melbourne Recital Centre
- 2008 Southbank Theatre, Melbourne
- 2012 Hamer Hall, Melbourne
- 2012 Perth Arena, Western Australia
- 2012 Wanangkura Stadium, Port Hedland
- 1996 RAIA Interior Architecture Award for the RMIT Storey Hall
- 2004 RAIA Walter Burley Griffin Award for Urban Design for extension to the Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne
- 2006 RAIA Walter Burley Griffin Award for Urban Design for Melbourne Central Redevelopment
- 2008 AIA Public Architecture Award for the Albury Library Museum, New South Wales
- Architects of Today, Kester Rattenbury, Rob Bevan and Kiernan Long Laurence King Publishing 2004 p. 20-21
- Architectural Review Australia: special edition ar100, Melbourne, 2007
- (5 July 2013) Alyesha Anderson. Perth Arena architects claim top prize at WA Architecture Awards. PerthNow. News Limited. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- Architects of Today, Kester Rattenbury, Rob Bevan and Kiernan Long Laurence King Publishing 2004 p.21
- "ARM Architecture". australian-architects. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- Walter Burley Griffin Award, Architecture Australia. Architecture Australia. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashton Raggatt McDougall.|