15 February 1964 |
Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Director, producer, writer, actor|
Ashutosh Gowariker (born 15 February 1964) is an Indian film director, actor, writer and producer. He is known for directing the films "set on a huge canvas while boasting of an opulent treatment". His works include Lagaan (2001), Swades (2004), Jodhaa Akbar (2008), What's Your Raashee (2009) and Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey (2010). He also became a voting member for the Academy Awards in 2005.
Ashutosh Gowariker was born in a Kshatriya Maratha family to Ashok and Kishori Gowariker. His family hails from Kolhapur. He is married to Sunita and they have two sons - Konark & Vishwang.
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
Ashutosh Gowariker started his career as an actor, making his debut in 1984 in director Ketan Mehta's movie, Holi. On the Holi sets, Ashutosh met Aamir Khan. After that, he acted in several television serials, including Circus (1989), C.I.D. (1998) and several films, including Naam (1986), Chamatkar (1992), and Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (1993).
1990 - 2000
2001 - present
In 2001, Gowariker wrote and directed the period epic movie, Lagaan, produced by and starring Aamir Khan. Lagaan, the story of a cricket match between British officers and Indian villagers in the late 19th century. It ranked third among 2001's Indian movies in terms of gross revenue.
|2009||What's Your Raashee?|
|2010||Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey|
|Year||Films and television series||Language|
|1994||Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa||Hindi|
|1989||Salim Langde Pe Mat Ro||Hindi|
|1989||Kamla Ki Maut||Hindi|
|1988||Bharat Ek Khoj (minor role(s) in TV serial)||Hindi|
|1987||West Is West||English|
|1989||ek ratra mantarleli||marathi|
- Holding Locarno Film Festival Award
- Thomas, Rebecca (22 February 2005). "Picking Oscar winners - a juror's tale". BBC News. Retrieved August 2011.
- the spirit of LAGAAN. popular prakashan. p. 18. ISBN 81-7991-003-2.
- The spirit of Lagaan. Popular prakashan. p. 14.
- "Awards for Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India". Internet Movie Database. Archived from the original on 13 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Outlook 3 Mar 2008. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "Ashutosh Gowariker teams up with mountaineering institute for TV show 'Everest'".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashutosh Gowariker.|
for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Sanjay Leela Bhansali
for Kya Kehna
for Taare Zameen Par
for Jodhaa Akbar
for 3 Idiots