|Birth name||Ashwini Govind Bhide|
|Born||October 7, 1960|
|Genres||Khayal, Bhajans, Thumris|
|Occupation(s)||Hindustani classical vocalist|
|Associated acts||Jasrangi with Sanjeev Abhyankar|
Early life and training
Born in Mumbai into a family with strong musical traditions, Dr. Bhide-Deshpande started her early classical training under the guidance of Narayanrao Datar. She then completed her Sangeet Visharad from the Gandharva Mahavidyalaya. Since then, Dr. Bhide-Deshpande has been under the tutelage of her mother Smt. Manik Bhide, who has been instilling in her the intricacies and traditions of the Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana. Dr. Bhide-Deshpande also received guidance from one of the stalwarts of the Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana, Pt. Ratnakar Pai until his death in 2009.
It was not until she completed her doctorate, when Dr. Bhide-Deshpande even considered a professional career in music. Despite, Dr. Bhide-Deshpande was well received by musical connoisseurs since her late teens. Since the late 1980s, Dr. Bhide-Deshpande has been on concert tours to every continent and frequently performs at prestigious music conferences around the world, including the Sawai Gandharva Sangeet Mahotsav in Pune, Maharashtra.
Because of her strong influences from the Jaipur-Atrauli Gharanas, Dr. Bhide-Deshpande, has created her own musical style that respects the vocal culture and presentation aesthetics of the Jaipur-Atrauli Gharana. She holds a strong command over the three primary saptaks.
Dr. Bhide-Deshpande has an intimate understanding of Bandish and bandish-composition and has created many of her own bandishes, which she has published in her book, Raag Rachananjali (2004). A sequel titled "Ragarachananjali 2", containing 98 more bandishes (compositions) was published in 2010.
Ashwini Bhide is not only a music scholar but is also blessed with a beautiful voice. I have personally known Ashwini since her early teens and it makes me so happy to see her blossom into such a wonderful Khayal singer. She has earned the reputation of being one of the top young artists of India... Having learnt many old compositions, she has been able to retain the spirit of the tradition through the dialects she has used as well as pay attention to the subject matter!
Ashwini Bhide is also a powerful teacher, as well as performer and has taught a handful of distinguished disciples like Saniya Kulkarni-Patankar, Revati Kamat, Shruti Ambekar, Saili Oak Kalyanpur, Shivani Haldipur, Dhanashree Ghaisas, and Poorvi Tonpay.
- Introducing Ashwini Bhide (1985) - Raag Yaman, Raag Tilak Kamod, Bhajan
- Rhythm House Classics (1987) - Raag Puriya Dhanashri, Raag Bhoop, Bhajan
- Ashwini Bhide Sings (1988) - Raag Kedar, Raag Khambavati, Raag Bhoop Nat
- Live for Femina (1989) - Raag Nand, Raag Bageshri
- Morning Ragas Vol. 1 (1990) - Raag Lalit, Raag Vibhas
- Morning Ragas Vol. 2 (1990) - Raag Todi, Raag Kabir Bhairav, Raag Sukhiya Bilawal
- Bhaktimala: Ganesh Vol. 2 (1991) - "Jehi Sumirat Siddhi Hoi," "Jai Shri Shankar Sut Ganesh," "Jai Ganesh Gananath," "Ganapat Vighna Harana"
- Bhaktimala: Shakti Vol. 2 (1991) - "Jwalatkoti Balark," "Tero Chakar Kare Pukar," "Jai Jai Jai Giriraj Kishori," "Main Dharu Tiharo Dhyan"
- Bhaktimala: Krishna Vol. 2 (1991) - "Madhurashtakam," "Mhari Surta Suhagan," "Kaisi Hori Machaiyi," "Sundar Badan Sukh," "Ka Karoon Na Mane"
- Bhaktimala: Namastotram, Ganesh (1991) - Bhajans
- Young Masters (1992) - Raag Bhimpalas, Raag Shuddha Kalyan
- Raag Rang Vol. 1 (1996) - Raag Bihag, Raag Bhinna Shadaj, Bhajan
- Raag Rang Vol. 2 (1996) - Raag Madhuwanti, Raag Jhinjhoti, Raag Jog, Raag Nayaki Kanada
- Pandharpuricha Nila (1998) - Abhangs
- Women Through the Ages - Raag Ahir Bhairav, Raag Jaunpuri, Bhajan
- Krishna (1999) - Raag Jaijaiwanti, Raag Vachaspati, Raag Megh Malhar, Jhoola, Bhajan
- Anandacha Kand (2000) - Abhangs
- Ashwini Bhide-Deshpande Vol. 1 (2000) - Raag Bilaskhani Todi, Raag Gujri Todi, Raag Nat Bhairav
- Ashwini Bhide-Deshpande Vol. 2 (2000) - Raag Rageshri, Raag Durga, Raag Yaman
- Golden Raaga Collection (2000) - Raag Multani, Raag Gaud Malhar, Bhajan
- Swar Utsav (2002) - Raag Jhinjhoti, Raag Nayaki Kanada
- Navagraha Puja (2002) - Bhajans
- Ashwini Bhide-Dehspande - Vocal (2003) - Raag Bageshri, Raag Kedar, Bhajan
- Roop Pahata Lochani (2004) - Abhangs
- Kari Badariya (2005) - Raagas Abhogi and Prateeksha, Jhoola, Dadra
- Sandhya (2006) - Raag Bageshri, Bhajan
- Soordas (2009) - Bhajans
- Unmesh (2010) - Raagas Vibhavati, Puriya Dhanashri, Raag Patdeep, Raag Manikauns
- "An innovative evening raga". The Telegraph. July 27, 2007.
- Bhide-Deshpande, Ashwini (2004), Raga Rachananjali, Raj Hans Prakashath, pp. Preamble, ISBN 81-7434-296-6