AsiaNews is an official press agency of the Roman Catholic Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME). The editor-in-chief of AsiaNews is Father Bernardo Cervellera, a PIME missionary who also heads Agenzia Fides, the official news agency of the Vatican. News from AsiaNews is republished by the Catholic press agencies MISNA and Zenit. Originally available in the Italian language, the website has since expanded into English and Chinese in 2003 to enhance the "missionary aspect of our news agency". AsiaNews's intended audience is Chinese university students, who it believes are "curi[ous] about Christianity" and may save China from being "a soulless market or... dictatorship". It describes its presence as "urgent" because of what it calls the "empowerment" of atheism in Chinese schools and the "persecution" of Christians in China. AsiaNews describes itself as "a great accomplishment in evangelization, which is the work of God" and as "bolster[ing] the [Roman Catholic] Church's mission in China". The investing portal of the Taipan Publishing Group has characterized AsiaNews an "obscure Vatican-sponsored news website" and as an "anti-communist organ of the Roman Catholic Church" whose "missionary zeal is not difficult to detect".
- Fazzini, Gerolamo (2009). The Red Book of Chinese Martyrs: Testimonies and Autobiographical Accounts. Ignatius Press. p. 341, 349.
- "Help AsiaNews". AsiaNews.it. Archived from the original on 16 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- Pigozzi, Caroline (2008). Pope John Paul II: An Intimate Life: The Pope I Knew So Well. Hachette Book Group. p. 125.
- BBC (1999). Summary of World Broadcasts: Asia, Pacific, Issues 3484-3497. BBC Monitoring. p. G-4.
- Cervellera, Bernardo (2003-02-04). "www.asianews.it Now Available in English and Chinese". AsiaNews.it. Archived from the original on 16 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- "How the Bearer Bonds Saga Could Bring Down the US". Contrarian Profits. Taipan Publishing Group. 2009-06-18. Retrieved 2011-04-19.