Asia Pacific Screen Awards
|Asia Pacific Screen Awards|
Asia Pacific Screen Awards logo
|Awarded for||Best in film and documentary in the Asia-Pacific region|
|Presented by||UNESCO, FIAPF and Brisbane City Council, Australia|
|Official website||Official Website|
The Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) is an international cultural initiative of the Brisbane City Council, Australia, through Brisbane Marketing, to honour and promote the films, actors, directors, and cultures of Asia-Pacific to a global audience and to realise the objectives of UNESCO to promote and preserve the respective cultures through the influential medium of film. Staged for the first time in 2007, APSA collaborates with UNESCO and FIAPF-International Federation of Film Producers Associations. Winners are determined by an international jury and films are judged on cinematic excellence and the way in which they attest to their cultural origins. APSA takes the works of filmmakers across more than 70 countries and areas in the Asia-Pacific region to new international audiences.
Nominees are automatically inducted into The Academy of the Asia Pacific Screen Awards, a growing world-class body of Asia-Pacific filmmakers. Australian screen legend, Jack Thompson AM, is the President of The Academy, and Vice Patron was Alicia Mayer Beverley] who submitted her resignation April, 2012.
The eighth annual Asia Pacific Screen Awards will be held in Brisbane on 11 December 2014. The International Jury President is award-winning Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi. Past International Jury members include Shyam Benegal, Malani Fonseka, Nansun Shi, Lord David Puttnam, Gina Kim, Jan Chapman, Bruce Beresford, Shabana Azmi and Jafar Panahi.
Film Categories and Awards
Films can be submitted in one or all of four film categories:
Awards are presented for the following achievements:
- Best Feature Film
- Best Animated Feature Film
- Best Documentary Feature Film
- Best Children's Feature Film
- Achievement in Directing
- Best Screenplay
- Achievement in Cinematography
- Best Performance by an Actress
- Best Performance by an Actor
In addition, three special awards are presented for outstanding achievement.
- The FIAPF Award: The International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF) determines the winner of the award for outstanding achievement in film in the Asia Pacific region.
- The UNESCO Award: The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Award is for the outstanding contribution to the promotion and preservation of cultural diversity through film.
- The Jury Grand Prize: The Jury of the Asia Pacific Screen Awards can, at its discretion, present a further award