Asian Americans in New York City
Asian Americans in New York City represent the largest Asian American population of any city in the United States.
New York City alone, according to the 2010 Census, has now become home to more than one million Asian Americans, greater than the combined totals of San Francisco and Los Angeles. New York contains the highest total Asian population of any U.S. city proper. In 2010, 6.0% of New York City was of Chinese ethnicity, with about forty percent of them living in the borough of Queens alone. Koreans made up 1.2% of the city's population, and Japanese 0.3%. Filipinos were the largest southeast Asian ethnic group at 0.8%, followed by Vietnamese, who made up 0.2% of New York City's population in 2010. Indians are the largest South Asian group, comprising 2.4% of the city's population, with Bangladeshis and Pakistanis at 0.7% and 0.5%, respectively.
Organizations and activism
One of the partner research centers of the Asian American and Pacific Islander Policy Research Consortium is based at the City University of New York. New York University hosts the Program in Asian/Pacific/American Studies.
- Asian American Arts Centre
- Asian American Dance Theatre
- Asian American International Film Festival
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Festival
- Asian American Writers' Workshop
- Chinese Americans in New York City
- Little India (location)
- Korean Americans in New York City
- Japanese in New York City
- List of U.S. cities with significant Chinese-American populations
- List of U.S. cities with large South Asian/Indian-American populations
- Kirk Semple (June 23, 2011). "Asian New Yorkers Seek Power to Match Numbers". The New York Times. Retrieved July 5, 2011. "Asians, a group more commonly associated with the West Coast, are surging in New York, where they have long been eclipsed in the city's kaleidoscopic racial and ethnic mix. For the first time, according to census figures released in the spring, their numbers have topped one million—nearly 1 in 8 New Yorkers—which is more than the Asian population in the cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles combined."
- "Asian American Statistics". Améredia Incorporated. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- "Table SF1-P9 NYC: Total Asian Population by Selected Subgroups". NYC.gov. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- "Asian Americans, New York City." Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity, and Society. Ed. Richard T. Schaefer. Vol. 1. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2008. 97-98. ISBN 9781412926942