Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication
|Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication|
|Type||Private graduate school, non-sectarian|
|President||Mr. Ramon R. Tuazon|
|Location||902 Annapolis Wilshire Plaza, 11 Annapolis St., Greenhills, San Juan; iCollege Bldg., 2244 Espana Ave., Sampaloc, Manila, Philippines|
The Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication is a graduate school in media studies in the Philippines. It is considered as one of the leading communication institutions in the Philippines and the ASEAN Region.
The institute was established in 1980 as the Asian Institute of Journalism. In 1994, the institute was renamed the Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication to expand to other forms of media. It provides graduate education and professional training.
The institute offers the following academic programs:
- Graduate Programs
- Master in Journalism (M.J.)
- Master in Communication Management (M.C.M.)
- Online Courses
- Corporate communication
- Marketing Communication
- Communication Planning
- Technical Writing and Editing
- Professional development programs
- Organizational communication
- Communication consultancy
- Business communication
- Print and electronics publications
- Marketing communication
- Working with mass media
- E-learning in a knowledge society
- Information Communication Technology
- Other short courses in media, writing, ICT, and corporate communication
The institute also offers a ladderized program in post-grad communication.
Training service provider
- AIJC training methodologies involve adult learning approaches, coaching and mentoring, demonstration, role play and simulation exercises, use of case examples, group discussions, and brief lecture-presentations. AIJC uses the constructivist learning approach which means that the training design is learner-centered rather than teacher-oriented.
- Resource persons combine theory and practice as they are experts and practitioners in communication and/or related fields.
- AIJC’s approach to training courses is multidisciplinary, often including a socio-psychological perspective to problems and solutions.
- AIJC can conduct benchmarking activities where participants engage in field/site visits to communities, government agencies, and media outfits where they can learn about best practices on the topic under study.
- AIJC also conducts post-training monitoring and evaluation by doing coaching sessions with individual participants. Coaching can be done at participants’ respective workplaces to see how they are able to apply the learning gains from the training.
- Course materials are enriched by knowledge generated from the 30 years experience of the Institute in conducting various researches and capacity-building for various institutions.
- In some cases, participation in training series entitles participants to graduate units (depending on training hours) upon submission of additional requirements.
Research and development and consultancy firm
AIJC’s research and development and consultancy (RDC) program includes policy research; design, implementation and evaluation of development communication initiatives, public information, social mobilization and advocacy programs; and design and implementation of management information systems.
Making a difference in national development, many RDC outputs have been institutionalized in several development programs. These outputs have been reflected or integrated in the following:
- 1987 Philippine Constitution
- Supreme Court Blueprint for Action on Judicial Reform
- Action Program for Judicial Reform
- Philippine Agenda 21
- Education for All program
- Country Program for Children
- Literacy Coordinating Council Blueprint for Action
- Communication plans of sustainable development programs, i.e., clean air, fisheries and coastal resource management, and renewable energy, among others.
- Directory of Higher Education Institutions, Commission on Higher Education of the Philippines, 2006.
- Official prospectus, Asian Social Institute, 2006.
- Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication official website