Asian Institute of Technology
|Asian Institute of Technology|
|SEATO Graduate School of Engineering|
|Motto||Learning beyond Boundaries|
|President||Professor Worsak Kanok-Nukulchai|
|Location||Khlong Luang, Pathum Thani, Thailand|
|Affiliations||LAOTSE, ASAIHL, GMSARN|
The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), founded in 1959, is an international institution for higher education located in Khlong Luang, Thailand. It specializes in engineering, advanced technologies, and management and planning. Its aim is to "promote technological change and sustainable development" in the Asia-Pacific region, through higher education, research and outreach.
- 1 History and mission
- 2 Governance
- 3 Ranking
- 4 Location
- 5 Student Body
- 6 Scholarships
- 7 Transition to intergovernmental organisation status
- 8 Structure
- 9 Host to international organizations
- 10 Academic programs
- 11 Erasmus Mundus programs
- 12 School of Engineering and Technology (SET)
- 13 School of Environment, Resources, and Development (SERD)
- 14 School of Management (SOM)
- 15 Awards
- 16 Demographic and project facts and figures
- 17 Sports
- 18 Memberships
- 19 Notable alumni
- 20 .th domain
- 21 Notes
- 22 External links
History and mission
Founded in 1959 as SEATO Graduate School of Engineering with a mission to develop highly qualified and committed professionals who will play a leading role in the sustainable development of the region and its integration into the global economy, it receives funding from organizations and governments around the world (initially from SEATO members).
In 1972, it was described as "an excellent example of not only the initiative and organization of a technical university, but also of the success of a foreign aid program". In 2006, AIT claimed that it "has become a leading regional post-graduate institute and is actively working with public and private sector partners throughout the region and with some of the top universities in the world". (See note presented at the Asia Commons conference, Bangkok, June 2006.) It also sees itself as being "recognized for its multinational, multi-cultural ethos." AIT celebrated its golden jubilee in 2009. On October 21, 2011, AIT's campus was inundated by 2-meter-high floodwaters. Since then, it has resumed operations at its campus.
Due to its international standing and global support, AIT has been administered by a high-ranking Board of Governors since its very beginning. Traditionally a high-ranking Thai citizen has been the Chairman of its Board of Trustees. At present the Chairman of the AIT Board of Trustees is former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, H.E. Dr. Subin Pinkayan. Ambassadors of 13 countries including Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, France, India, Indonesia, Korea, Lao PDR, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sweden and Vietnam are members of the AIT Board of Trustees. Ambassadors of two countries, Japan and Norway, along with Ambassador of EU have observer status in the AIT Board.
AIT programs have been ranked both globally and regionally. Three of its programs were listed in the global top 100 by Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking, while five of its programs were among the top in Southeast Asia. All these eight programs have been ranked as best in Thailand.
AIT operates as a self-contained international community at its campus in Pathumthani province, some 40 kilometres (25 mi) north of Bangkok, Thailand. Besides laboratories and academic buildings, the main campus includes housing, sports, and medical facilities, a conference center, and a library with over 230,000 volumes and 830 print and online periodicals.
AIT has a remote campus in Vietnam called AIT Center in Vietnam. Asian Institute of Technology in Vietnam (AITCV) was established in 1993 under the MoA between The Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training and the AIT. At that time AITCV was the first international institution in Vietnam and the first center of AIT out of its headquarters in Thailand.
AIT student body has students from 58 countries with Thailand forming about one-third of the student body. It has always been international, with various international donors offering scholarships to AIT students for capacity building
AIT has been receiving scholarships  from various donors and countries. Current Scholarships include
- HM King's Scholarships and HM Queen's Scholarships
- Loom Nam Khong Pijai (GMSARN Scholarships)
- New AIT Fellowship Scheme
- RTG Fellowship
- Japanese Government Scholarships for August 2014 Intake
- DAAD / German Academic Exchange Service Scholarships for Nationals of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam
- BJC Regional Scholarships at AIT (For MBA, for Vietnamese and Myanmar students)
- ADB-JSP Selection Guidelines
- Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
- DIKTI scholarships for Indonesian Lecturers
- KAAD - AIT Scholarship Program
- Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program (IFP) thru the Asian Scholarship Foundation in Thailand
- e8 Scholarship Programme
- The Consortium of Development Studies in Southeast Asia (CDSSEA) Scholarship for Gender and Development Studies
- Pruksa Scholarships at AIT for Thai National in January 2015 Intake
- Thai Pipe Scholarship at AIT for Cambodian National in January 2015 Intake
Transition to intergovernmental organisation status
Approval of new charter
In August 2010, a new “Charter of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)” was adopted and signed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand. Signatories to the new Charter included Seychelles, Cambodia, Japan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Sweden, Timor-Leste, Bangladesh, Philippines, India, and UNIFEM. The new Charter entered into force on 30 January 2012 as Sweden, Japan, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal deposited their instruments of ratification of the New Charter with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.
Difficulties and return to old charter
In 2012, Thailand declined to ratify the new charter, with the effect that the operations of AIT under the new intergovernmental charter resulted in the issuance of potentially invalid degrees. In December 2012, AIT opted to return to its previous national charter and ceased operating as an intergovernmental university. The degrees issued by AIT under the new charter were reissued under the old charter to avoid the risk of being unrecognized under Thai law. However, it seems that the “Charter of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)” remains legally in force without Thailand’s participation, but is now in dormant status.
AIT consists of three schools at its mother campus; namely
- School of Engineering and Technology (SET)
- School of Environment, Resources, and Development (SERD)
- School of Management (SOM)
Besides the above three schools, AIT also has a consulting wing called AIT Consulting, and AIT Extension which provides professional education, short-course training and consultancy services as well. As mentioned above, under the sub-heading Location, AIT has another campus in Vietnam which offers both academic programs and short-term training.
Host to international organizations
The campus of Asian Institute of Technology is host to several international and non governmental organizations including: the Asia-Pacific headquarters of Télécoms Sans Frontières, the UNEP Environment Assessment for Regional Resource Center in Asia and the Pacific (UNEP RRC.AP), and the Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES).
It also hosts the global secretariat of the International Partnership for Expanding Waste Management Services of Local Authorities (IPLA), while the regional secretariat is hosted by UN HABITAT. Four UN agencies, three international donors and five national governments are part of IPLA.
AIT has also tied up with Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus to create a Yunus Center at AIT with an objective "to contribute to poverty alleviation by enabling rural people to handle and be in control of improving their own livelihoods". The center was launched on September 8, 2009.
Asian Institute of Technology offers Master's and Doctoral degrees and from diploma and certificate courses.
AIT also offers Unified International Bachelor-Master Degree Program.
Erasmus Mundus programs
AIT is associated with several Erasmus Mundus academic cooperation programmes offered by the European Union. They include - EM EMMA, EM MAHEVA, EM EuroAsia, Bridging the Gap, European Master Advanced Robotics Program (EMARO), Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate ETeCoS3, Environmental Technologies for Contaminated Solids, Soils and Sediments and Erasmus Mundus Master's programme in Industrial Ecology 
School of Engineering and Technology (SET)
The School of Engineering and Technology offers Masters degrees [MEng, MSc], professional Master degree programs, Doctoral degrees [DEng, DTechSc, PhD], and Certificates of Advanced Studies in the following areas:
Civil & Infrastructure Engineering Group Construction, Engineering and Infrastructure Management (CEIM), Geotechnical and Earth Resources Engineering (GTE). Geosystem Exploration and Petroleum GeoEngineering (GEPG), Structural Engineering (STE), Transportation Engineering (TRE), Water Engineering and Management (WEM).
Information and Communications Group Computer Science (CS), Information Management (IM), Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems (RS-GIS), Software Engineering (SE), Telecommunications (TC)
School of Environment, Resources, and Development (SERD)
The School of Environment, Resources, and Development offers Masters degrees [MEng, MSc], professional Master degree programs, Doctoral degrees [DEng, DTechSc, PhD], Certificate of Advanced Studies in the following areas:Agricultural Systems and Engineering, Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management, Energy, Environmental and Engineering Management, Food Engineering and Bioprocess Technology, Gender and Development Studies, Natural Resources Management, Pulp and Paper Technology, Regional and Rural Development Planning, Urban Environment Planning Interdisciplinary Programs Agribusiness Management, Cleaner Production, Integrated Tropical Coastal Zone Management, Wetland and Aquatic Resources Management
School of Management (SOM)
The School of Management established in 1987, the school has graduated more than 3000 MBA students. The network of alumni is found in over 40 countries, and faculty members come from 30 countries. The School has developed an extensive network of strategic partnerships around the world with leading European and Asian Business Schools. Currently SOM offering the following courses: Master of Business Administration (MBA), Executive MBA (EMBA), International Executive MBA (IEMBA) - Vietnam (offered at Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Dong Nai, Vung Tau), PhD, Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
Ramon Magsaysay Award
In 1989, AIT received a Ramon Magsaysay Award for Peace and International Understanding "... for shaping a new generation of engineers and managers committed to Asia, in an atmosphere of academic excellence and regional camaraderie."
"Yu fell in love with nature early on, having been raised in Yunnan, a province of amazing beauty and home to three of the largest rivers in the world: Nu, Yangtze, and Mekong. His interest in the environment was cultivated during a stint in the Yunnan Academy of Social Sciences, and was further deepened when he attended the Asian Institute of Technology, where he earned a master's degree in watershed management."
Friendship Order of Vietnam
The Government of Vietnam awarded the Friendship Order to AIT in 2006. It is the highest award given in the area of international relations and is presented to foreign institutions and persons that have contributed to human resource training for Vietnam, and to the development of friendly relations between Vietnam and other countries.
Demographic and project facts and figures
- 2300+ students from 47+ countries/territories
- 19000+ alumni from 80 countries/territories
- 28000+ short-term trainees from 70+ countries/territories
- 130 world-class faculty from 20+ countries
- 1000+ Courses
- 32 Fields of Study
- 3 Schools
- 15 Research and Outreach Centers
- 468 research and support staff from about 30 countries
- About 450 sponsored research projects
- 330 Partners
- 33 board of trustee members from 19 countries
The AIT field is one of the three cricket fields in Thailand where Thailand's Premier League matches are played. The AIT Cricket Team has also won the Bangkok Cricket League 'A' Division two times during the past three years It also boasts of a 9-hole golf course and a swimming pool. The self-contained campus also offers facilities including badminton, takraw, table tennis, tennis, basketball, cricket, volleyball and swimming.
The institute is a member of the
- Greater Mekong Sub-region Academic and Research Network (GMSARN)
- LAOTSE — an international network of leading universities in Europe and Asia.
- Erasmus Mundus Erasmus Mundus programmes
|Boonsrang Niumpradit||D. Eng.||1978||Former Thai Army chief|
|Mao Chi-kuo||M. Eng. (Community & Regional Development)||1975||Current Premier of the Republic of China|
|Yu Xiaogang||M. Sc. (Interdisciplinary Natural Resource Development and Management)||1993||Among the six winners of the 2009 Ramon Magsaysay Awards|
|Imtiaz Gilani||M. Eng. (Structural Engineering and Construction)||1971||Provisional Minister of Education for the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|Bindu Lohani||Ph.D. (Environmental Engineering)||1977||Vice President Asian Development Bank|
- Business Week
- Tall, Lambert, 1972. "Asian Institute of Technology", Office of Naval Research, London, England
- "Welcome to AIT Golden Jubilee". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- De Silva, Neville, 2009, "Asian Institute of Technology celebrates 50 years of service to the developing world," Asian Tribune 
- AIT, Thammasat Rangsit inundated
- AIT returns home
- AIT Board of Trustees AIT Board of Trustees
- EdUniversal Best Masters Ranking
- AITCV, Vietnam
- Current Scholarships at AIT 
- "Top Stories : The Adoption and Signing Ceremony of the New Charter of the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) - Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand". mfa.go.th. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "AIT now an International Intergovernmental Organization, as New Charter comes into force". ait.ac.th. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "AIT President clarifies invalid degree issue: Daily News". ait.ac.th. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "AIT operations back to normal following return to 'old charter' - The Nation". nationmultimedia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- "Bangkok Post". bangkokpost.com. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- School of Engineering and Technology (SET)
- School of Environment, Resources, and Development (SERD)
- School of Management (SOM)
- "AIT Consulting - Home". Consulting.ait.asia. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- AIT Extension
- AIT center in Vietnam
- United Nations, Economic and Social Council, 13 May 2011, "New Initiative to Aid Local Governments in Managing Growing Waste Problems" 
- United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD), IPLA Official Partners 
- Bangkok Post, 2009, "AIT launches Yunus Center"|http://www.bangkokpost.com/life/education/23480/ait-launches-yunus-center
- EMMA http://www.emmasia.eu
- EM EuroAsia http://www.em-euroasia.org
- Bridging the Gap http://www.bridging-the-gap.eu/en/
- EMARO http://emaro.irccyn.ec-nantes.fr
- ETeCoS3 http://www.internationaldoctorate.unicas.it
- EM Industrial Ecology
- Construction, Engineering and Infrastructure Management (CEIM)
- Geotechnical and Earth Resources Engineering (GTE)
- Geosystem Exploration and Petroleum GeoEngineering (GEPG)
- Structural Engineering (STE)
- Transportation Engineering (TRE)
- Water Engineering and Management (WEM)
- Mechatronics (MEC)
- Microelectronics (MIC)
- Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (IME)
- Computer Science (CS)
- Information Management (IM)
- Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems (RS-GIS)
- Software Engineering
- Telecommunications (TC)
- Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)
- Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation and Management (DPMM)
- Offshore Technology and Management (OTM)
- Agricultural Systems and Engineering
- Aquaculture and Aquatic Resources Management
- Environmental and Engineering Management
- Food Engineering and Bioprocess Technology
- Gender and Development Studies
- Natural Resources Management
- Pulp and Paper Technology
- Regional and Rural Development Planning
- Urban Environment Planning
- Agribusiness Management
- Cleaner Production
- Integrated Tropical Coastal Zone Management
- Wetland and Aquatic Resources Management
- International EMBA Vietnam program
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
- The 1989 Ramon Magsaysay Award for International Understanding http://www.rmaf.org.ph/Awardees/Citation/CitationAIT.htm
- The 2006 Ramon Magsaysay Award for International Understanding http://www.rmaf.org.ph/Awardees/Citation/CitationXiaogangYu.htm
- "Vietnam bestows highest international relations honor to AIT". ait.asia. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Premier League http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/91014.html
- Bangkok Cricket League http://www.ait.ac.th/news-and-events/2013/news/ait-team-wins-bangkok-cricket-league-2018a2019-division/view#.UmTdJha4nXE
- GMSARN http://mpuhost04.ait.ac.th/gmsarn/sitegmsarn2009/home.php
- "Transfer of ".th" domain and establishment of Chair Professor position at AIT". ait.ac.th. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Asian Institute of Technology.|
- Asian Institute of Technology
- AIT School of Management
- AIT Center in Vietnam
- AIT Alumni Association, Thailand Chapter
- AIT videos on YouTube
- AIT Alumni in Vietnam
- Unified International Bachelor-Master Degree Program