Asian Social Institute
|Asian Social Institute|
|Type||Private graduate school, non-sectarian|
|President||Dr. Mina M. Ramirez|
|Location||1518 Leon Guinto St., Manila, Philippines|
The Asian Social Institute (ASI) is a graduate school and research institution in Manila, Philippines. It is one of the few graduate institutes specializing in economics, sociology, social work and social services and development in the country.
Asian Social Institute (ASI), a Manila-based Graduate School of Social Transformative Praxis was established in 1962 by a Dutch Catholic Missionary of the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (CICM), the late Rev. Fr. Francis Senden, Ph. D. Started with the blessings of the late Rufino Cardinal Santos, D. D. of the Archdiocese of Manila, ASI’s purpose was to form and train social science based social development managers for Asia and the Pacific in order to implement the social teachings of the Church.
Since the death of its founder in 1973, ASI has provided a learning environment which is structured in two departments - Academe-Research, and Social Development. On top of these two departments is the President's Office to whom report Communication and Publication, MIS, Promotions and Public Relations, and administrative units. The President of ASI is Dr. Mina M. Ramirez. Academe-Research is headed by the Vice President for Academe-Research and Academic Dean, Dr. Prisinia C. Arcinue. The Vice President of the Social Development Department is Prof. Dennis Batoy.
The Academe-Research integrates theory and practice, while the Social Development Department grounds the students' learning in marginal communities through ASI's Action Subsidiaries - Family Center, Urban Community Desk, Tent School, Diocesan Accompaniment, Youth Accompaniment, ASI Enterprise Center and its NGO networks. ASI's Communication and Publication activities provide for approaches to communicating ideas.
- Short courses
- International Diploma Course for Community Development Workers (IDCCDW)
- Phenomenology: Principles, Methods, and Applications in Research
- Transformational Politics
- One Day Forum Series in Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Community Economics
Bio-Community Ecological Systems by Dr. Sixto K. Roxas Local Governance, the Art of Advocacy and Networking by Former Senator Aquilino Pimentel, Jr. Application of Statistics: The Issue of Hunger by Dr. Mahar Mangahas Agricultural Productivity by Dr. Leonardo Gonzales Community Organization Principles and Christian Social Teachings by Dr. Angelito Manalili Sustainable Community Economic Development by Dr. Ernesto Pernia Community Macroeconomics, Fiscal and Monetetary Policies by Dr. Gilberto Llanto
- Justice, Peace, and Integrity of Creation Workshops
The Institute offers the following academic programs:
- Graduate programs
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Cosmic Anthropology
- Master of Science in Sociology
- Master of Science in Sociology with Specialization in Transformational Politics
- Master of Science in Sociology major in Pastoral Studies
- Master of Science in Sociology major in Pastoral Sociology
- Master of Science in Education with Specialization in Community Organization
- Master of Science in Education with Specialization in Transformative Leadership
- Master in Social Services and Development
- Master of Science in Economics
- Master of Science in Economics with Specialization in Sustainable Community Economics
- Master of Science in Social Work
- Undergraduate program (Only as a second undergraduate degree)
- Bachelor of Science in Social Work (1 year program for college graduates)
Some of the institute's notable alumni include:
- Dr. Mina M. Ramirez - authority on Phenomenology in the Philippines and Asia and a founding member of the Pontifical Academy of the Social Sciences, The Vatican.
- Dr. Epitacio S. Palispis(+) - Vice President for Academics of Trinity University of Asia, National President of the Philippine Association for Graduate Education (PAGE), the national organization of graduate schools in the Philippines, and President of the Association of Christian Schools Colleges and Universities Accrediting Agency Inc. (ACSCU-AAI)
- Dr. Prisinia C. Arcinue - former Chairperson of The Moral Recovery Commission during the Presidency of Fidel V. Ramos.
- Dr. Villamor Vital - former President of the Worldwide Investment Management Company of the Philippines (WINVEST), was Economist and Consultant in various projects of Asian Development Bank, World Bank, and UNCTAD/ESCAP, and advocate of Philippine capital markets development.
- Jaime Licauco - Founder and President, Inner Mind Development Institute
- Dr. Mario P. Lamberte - former President, Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS), writer of economic articles in international journals.
- Professor Seung Young Lee - Dean, College of Business Administration, Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea
- Dr. Paul Dejillas - social thinker and lecturer on mediated economics, the informal sector, and globalization.
- Dr. Leonardo Gonzales - Chairman of the Board, STRIVE. Lead author of the book "Buffalo Meat Imports and the Philippine Livestock Industry: An Impact Assessment" awarded OUTSTANDING BOOK by the National Academy of Science and Technology on July 10, 2013 at the Manila Hotel.
- Bro. Karl Gaspar, Ph.D., CSsR - a noted development and social worker, anthropologist, writer and researcher, peace advocate and religious brother affiliated with Ateneo de Davao University
- Dr. Olivia A. Vital - Director, Cash Management Department, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
- Directory of Higher Education Institutions, Commission on Higher Education of the Philippines, 2006.
- Official prospectus, Asian Social Institute, 2006.
- Alumni list, Asian Social Institute, 2006.