Asian Society of International Law
The Asian Society of International Law (AsianSIL) is a region-wide forum for interaction among scholars and practitioners of public and private international law either based in or interested in Asia. It was established in April 2007 at an inaugural meeting at the National University of Singapore.
The Society is an international non-partisan, non-profit, and non-governmental organization with the following objectives:
- To promote research, education and practice of international law by serving as a centre of activities among international law scholars and practitioners in Asia and elsewhere, in a spirit of partnership with other relevant international, regional and national societies and organizations;
- To foster and encourage Asian perspectives of international law; and
- To promote awareness of and respect for international law in Asia.
The first president of the Society (2007-2009) was Hisashi Owada, former President of the International Court of Justice. He was succeeded by Xue Hanqin (2009-2011) and V.S. Mani (2011-2013). The current president of the Society is Surakiart Sathirathai. The Secretary-General of the Society is Simon Chesterman.
- AsianSIL President's Welcome
- http://www.wwlegal.com/Article717.html[dead link]
- Speech by George Yeo, Minister for Foreign Affairs, at the Opening Dinner of the Inaugural Conference of the Asian Society of International Law on 7 April 2007
- Constitution of the Asian Society of International Law, art 2.
- "Current Members | International Court of Justice". Icj-cij.org. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "President's Welcome-- Asian Society of International Law". Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- AsianSIL Governing Bodies
- Asian Journal of International Law.