|Type and origin|
|Build date||2006? (Ordered 2004)|
|Total produced||AR15 VR: 16 (for Vietnam Railways)|
|Gauge||AR15: 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) to 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)
AR20: 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
|Length||19.180 m (62 ft 11.1 in)|
|Width||2.688 m (8 ft 9.8 in)
2.950 m (9 ft 8.1 in) including mirrors
|Height||3.945 m (12 ft 11.3 in)|
|Axle load||AR15: 13.5 to 16t
|Locomotive weight||AR15 VR: 81t|
|Fuel capacity||4,000 l (880 imp gal)|
|Engine type||MTU 12V4000R41|
|Maximum speed||120 km/h (75 mph)|
|Power output||AR15 1500kW
AR15 ~1220 kW at wheel
|Tractive effort||AR15: 260-320kN starting
AR20: 320kN starting
The Siemens Asiarunner locomotives are contemporaries to the Eurorunner class and are designed specifically for the South-East Asian market - in particular metre gauge - key features are a Co'Co' wheel arrangement (resulting in low axle loads) and good clearance (see Loading gauge)
Much of the development of the Asiarunner locomotive had to be done from scratch, since Siemens had no contemporary example of a narrow gauge, or of a locomotive that was built to a smaller loading gauge that UIC 505-1.
Nevertheless the design mirrors in part the modular concept found in Siemens other locomotives (the Eurosprinter and Eurorunner). The main frame is one such module. The drivers cabins are also modular components.
Access to the main engine compartment is via the roof, which has three removable segments, there is a single side corridor which allows an escape route in the event of certain emergencies (compare the wide gauge Eurorunners which have two passageways)
The locos can work in multiple with up to three connected.
The locomotive is designed for used in Asia, Africa, South America and Australia
- "The Asiarunner – The flexible alternative". www.transportation.siemens.com (archive web.archive.org). Archived from the original on 18 May 2008.
- "Technical data of locomotive". www.siemens.com.vn. Archived from the original on 28 April 2008. (archive web.archive.org)
- Universal Locomotive AR15 VR, Vietnam Siemens.com
- Marc Oliver Girgert; Armin Gasch (2006). "Der Asiarunner für Vietnam = The asiarunner for Vietnam". Eisenbahntechnische Rundschau (in German) (Eurailpress, Hamburg) 55 (9): 580–584. ISSN 0013-2845.
- "News from Transportation Systems : AsiaRunner AR15 VR". www.siemens.com.vr (archive web.archive.org). Archived from the original on 28 April 2008.
AsiaRunner AR15 VR is the first locomotives in the Asian Runner family for the small gauges: 1000 and 1067mm
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to D20E locomotives.|
- "InnoTrans 2006 - Siemens: Asiarunner - Die flexible Entscheidung". www.lok-report.de, (archive web.archive.org) (in German). Archived from the original on 21 October 2007.
- Tobiáš Fuks (5 July 2010). "Asiarunner Vietnamských železnic". www.k-report.net (in Czech).