|• Arabic||عصيرة القبلية|
|• Jurisdiction||6,447 dunams (6.4 km2 or 2.5 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||"The southern difficulty"|
’Asira al-Qibliya (Arabic: عصيرة القبلية) is a Palestinian town in the Nablus Governorate in the eastern West Bank, located 14 kilometers (8.7 mi) southwest of Nablus. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS), the town had a population of 2,336 inhabitants in 2007.
Asira al-Qibliya is situated on an ancient site on low ground. Carved stones have been reused in village houses and agricultural terraces. Rock-cut cisterns have also been found, together with Byzantine ceramics.
The village was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517 with all of Palestine, and in 1596 it appeared in the tax registers under the name of 'Asirah, as being in the nahiya of Jabal Qubal in the liwa of Nablus. It had a population of 33 households and 6 bachelors, all Muslim. The inhabitants of the village paid taxes on wheat, barley, summer crops, olive trees, and goats and/or beehives.
The French explorer Victor Guérin visited the village (which he called A'sirah) in 1870, and he estimated it had three hundred inhabitants. He further noted that the medhafeh, or guest-house, was situated on the highest ground in the village. In 1882 the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described Asiret al Kibliyeh as a village of moderate size on low ground, with a well to the south-east.
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, 'Asira al-Qebliyeh had a population of 282, all Muslim, increasing in the 1931 census to 326, still all Muslim, in 84 houses.
In 1945 the population was 410, all Arabs, with 6,437 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 345 dunams were plantations and irrigable land, 2,963 were used for cereals, while 57 dunams were built-up land.
Settler violence is a cause for concern. Settlers from the nearby Yitzhar also continue to enter the villages farmlands. From 2008 to 2011, there were numerous reported cases of both violence and arson in the village. As of 2012, Asira Al-Qibiliya and its inhabitants have been repeatedly attacked, targeted and threatened by settlers for which there have been few or no convictions.
In 2012 there were several reported incidents of settler violence. During one incident, on Saturday, May 19, 2012, a man was shot while settlers from the nearby Yitzhar settlement entered into village grounds. They set fire to farm land in the village, threw stones and shot live ammunition at the buildings. Youth from the village went to defend the village and retaliated by throwing rocks. During this exchange the man was shot and several were injured.
The attack took place well outside of the territory claimed by the settlement, as can be seen from satellite maps with clear geographical coordinates and was therefore well within Palestinian area. Despite soldiers from the IDF being there, they did nothing to prevent the firing of live ammunition at the village's inhabitants. B'Tselem published several videos showing the failure of the IDF to act and of the settlers approaching the village.
In mid-2013, the US government requested protection by the IDF for a USAID project that is building a water cistern Asira al-Qibliya. The project and its employees had been repeatedly attacked by settlers from Yitzhar.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 179
- 2007 PCBS Census. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p.110.
- Dauphin, 1998, p. 802
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 134.
- Guérin, 1875, p. 177-178
- Conder and Kitchener, SWP II, 1882, p. 162.
- J. B. Barron, ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine. Table IX, Sub-district of Nablus, p. 24.
- Mills, 1932, p. 59.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p. 59
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p. 105
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p. 155
- Ha'aretz 2 August 2008 Unknown assailants hurl brick at car in West Bank, injuring 7-year-old Palestinian girl By Yuval Azoulay
- Israeli settler shoots at Palestinians while IDF soldiers stand by, By Gili Cohen, May. 20, 2012, Haaretz
- Joshua Reiner (August 6, 2013). "On account of settler violence, the US sought help from the IDF". Walla!.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Dauphin, Claudine (1998). La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations, Vol. III : Catalogue. BAR International Series 726. Oxford: Archeopress.
- Guérin, Victor (1875). Description Géographique, Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine. Vol 2 ("Seconde partie "); Samarie, pt. 2.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970), Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Welcome To 'Asira al-Qibliya
- B'Tselem VIDEO: Israeli settlers attack Asira al-Qibliya at IMEU.net
- Why Israeli Settlers Shot an Unarmed Palestinian, MAY 21 2012, The Atlantic
- Israeli settlers filmed firing guns at Palestinians, 21 May 2012, The Guardian
- Settlers filmed shooting at Palestinian protesters, 21 May 2012 BBC
- Video: Settlers firing at Palestinians, 05/20/2012 Jpost
- Asira al-Qabliiya