Asmodeus (Marvel Comics)
Asmodeus in Hell.
|First appearance||Ghost Rider #53 (Feb 1981)|
|Created by||Michael Fleisher and Don Perlin|
The character subsequently appeared in Ghost Rider #64 (January 1982), and #76 (January 1983).
Fictional character biography
In his first appearance, Asmodeus sends the demon Tabicantra to manipulate and otherwise destroy Ghost Rider and gain control over Zarathos. Tabicantra eventually turns against Asmodeus, helping the hero free himself from the demonic influence.
Asmodeus later captured Ghost Rider, but failed to gain control over Zarathos once again. Later, Asmodeus attempted to trick Mephisto into gaining control of Zarathos. However, Asmodeus failed, and was seemingly destroyed by Mephisto.
Saturnine is a servant of Asmodeus, and a fellow enemy of Zarathos and Blaze.
Other characters named Asmodeus
Over the years, there have been several minor characters with the name "Asmodeus" appearing in Marvel Comics. They are:
- Dr. Charles Benton, former colleague of the doctor Stephen Strange, and former leader of the Sons of Satannish. He died fighting Strange, but was given another chance at life by Satannish, who eventually returned Benton to death when he proved incapable of killing any of the Defenders in exchange.
- Asmodeus, a member of the Satanic cult "The Followers of the Left Hand Path". He was a minion of Morning Star.
- Asmodeus, an amorphous, blob-like demon summoned by the Enclave. Created by Marv Wolfman and Steve Ditko.
- Asmodeus, a bat-winged member of the Inhumans.
- Asmodeus, a lord of hell, much discussed, although never seen, in the 1991 Tomb of Dracula miniseries by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, published under Marvel's Epic Comics imprint. His power was partially responsible for the resurrection of Dracula.
- Asmodeus Jones, the stage name of Ozzie Palmer, a rock singer who received power from his demon mother Fashima, in exchange for his performing magical rituals to drain his fans of their life force and transfer it to Fashima. He was defeated by the Defenders.
- Azmodeus, a birdlike demon who lived in the Amulet of Azmodeus and served Master Pandemonium. It would periodically emerge from the amulet and converse with Pandemonium.
- Asmodiar, an enemy of King Arthur.
- Ghost Rider #53, 1981
- Ghost Rider #64, 1982
- Ghost Rider #76, 1983
- Journey Into Mystery #627
- Dr. Strange vol. 1, #169, 175-178
- Giant Size Defenders #2
- Tomb of Dracula, vol. 2 #2 (Dec. 1979)
- Fantastic Four #117
- Tomb of Dracula vol. 3 #1-4
- Defenders vol. 1 #96
- West Coast Avengers vol. 2 #4, 9, 14
- Marvel Preview #22 (1980)