|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Christian Ferru|
|• Land1||18.64 km2 (7.20 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||49/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||17022 / 17400|
|Elevation||22–82 m (72–269 ft)
(avg. 49 m or 161 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Asnierois or Asnieroises.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Administration
- 3 Demography
- 4 Economy
- 5 Culture and heritage
- 6 Notable people linked to the commune
- 7 See also
- 8 Notes and references
Asnières-la-Giraud is located some 38 km east of Rochefort and 7 km south of Saint-Jean-d'Angély. Access to the commune is by the D150 road from Saint-Jean-d'Angély in the north which passes through the west of the commune and the village and continues to Saint-Hilaire-de-Villefranche. The D120 road from Saint-Jean-d'Angély passes through the east of the commune and continues to Sainte-Même. The D217 road connects the D120 and the D150 in the commune and continues west to Mazeray. Apart from the village there are the hamlets of La Touzetterie on the north-eastern border, Moulin de la Laigne, La Laigne, Le Plonget, La Giraud, La Rue d'Asnières, Le Puits d'Asnières, Champmiaud, and La Tranche in the south. There are some patches of forest but most of the commune is farmland.
The Loubat river flows south through the commune west of the D150 and through the village before continuing south.
List of Successive Mayors
(Not all data is known)
Budget and Taxation
The Taxation rates are: 6.28% for housing tax, 11.80% for developed land, 37% for undeveloped land, and 8% business tax. As the community of communes also levies all four taxes: respectively 2.46%, 5.50%, 11.91%, and 3.82%, this gives a total, before the department and the region, of: 8.74% for housing tax, 17.30% for developed land, 48.91% for undeveloped land, and 11.82% business tax (2007 figures).
In 2010 the commune had 922 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Distribution of Age Groups
The population of the town is relatively old. The ratio of persons above the age of 60 years (23.9%) is higher than the national average (21.6%) and the departmental average (28.1%). Unlike national and departmental allocations, the male population of the town is greater than the female population (51.1% against 48.4% nationally and 48.2% at the departmental level).
Percentage Distribution of Age Groups in Asnières-la-Giraud and Charente-Maritime Department in 2010
|0 to 14 Years||16.8||17.0||17.2||15.1|
|15 to 29 Years||14.5||13.7||16.4||14.3|
|30 to 44 Years||19.6||19.2||18.4||17.7|
|45 to 59 Years||23.8||24.6||20.8||20.6|
|60 to 74 Years||17.0||15.5||17.6||18.2|
|75 to 89 Years||7.7||8.8||9.1||12.5|
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Commune in 2010, INSEE.
- Evolution and Structure of the population of the Department in 2010, INSEE.
Asnières-la-Giraud has always been an agricultural and viticultural; commune. Nevertheless there are many trades in teh commune: a garage, a mechanically construction business, an Emmaus warehouse, and activities linked to tourism with a hotel, a rural cottage, and a Youth Hostel called Chantageasse. The vineyards are in the Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) region of Cognac: the Fins Bois cru.
Culture and heritage
- The Fontaines d'Asnières milk factory at 17 Rue de la Laiterie is registered as a historical monument.
- An old well
- The Church of Saint Medard
- Pierre Roy de Loulay, a French politician born on 26 August 1818 at Asnières-la-Giraud.
- Asnières-la-Giraud on Google Maps
- Asnières-la-Giraud on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Annieres on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Asnières-la-Giraud on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Asnières-la-Giraud.|
|This Charente-Maritime geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|