Aspen Art Museum
|Aspen Art Museum|
|Location||637 E. Hyman Avenue, Aspen, CO, USA|
|Type||contemporary art museum|
Founded in 1979, the Aspen Art Museum (AAM) is a contemporary art museum located in Aspen, Colorado. AAM exhibitions include drawings, paintings, sculptures, multimedia installations and electronic media.
Aspen Art Museum Building
Previously housed in a converted 7,500-square-foot former hydroelectric plant at 590 North Mill Street, the Aspen Art Museum (AAM) opened its new $72 million museum building to the public on August 9, 2014. It was designed by Shigeru Ban, who was the recipient of the 2014 Pritzker Architecture Prize. The new AAM facility is his first US museum to be constructed. The 33,000-square-foot, three-story four-level facility houses eight exhibition spaces: six gallery spaces (gallery four is a convertible black box theatre), a roof top sculpture garden and extensive outdoor commons. Five architectural features are highlighted in the building's design: Grand Stair, Moving Glass Room Elevator, Woven Wood Screen, Wood Roof Structure and Walkable Skylights.
The Aspen Art Museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The museum is a member institution of the Association of Art Museum Directors (AAMD), which represents directors of art museums throughout the United States, Canada, and Mexico. In March 2009, the AAM joined other Aspen area businesses through becoming certified under a jointly run City of Aspen Environmental Health Department and Canary Initiative “ZGreen” program. Environmental efforts undertaken by the AAM through the ZGreen program include recycling, composting, and zero waste events.
- Sobel, D. (2004). One Hour Ahead: The avant-garde in Aspen 1945 – 2004. Aspen, CO: Aspen Art Press.
- "Shigeru Ban's Aspen Art Museum opens". Dezeen.com. August 6, 2014. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- Shigeru Ban | The Pritzker Architecture Prize
- Kelly Crow (July 17, 2014), Aspen Art Museum Readies New Building Wall Street Journal.
- "Alliance Accredited Institutions". American Alliance of Museums. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- American Association of Museum Directors. (July 2011). AAMDMembershipList7-11.pdf. Retrieved from http://aamd.org/about/documents/AAMDMembershipList7-11.pdf
- Pitkin County. (2012). Aspen Art Museum. Retrieved from http://aspenpitkin.com/Living-in-the-Valley/Green-Initiatives/Aspen-ZGreen/Business/Aspen-Art-Museum/