Ass on the Floor
|"Ass on the Floor"|
|Single by Diddy-Dirty Money featuring Swizz Beatz|
|from the album Last Train to Paris|
|Released||April 17, 2011|
|Recorded||Daddy’s House Recording Studio (New York City)|
|Diddy-Dirty Money singles chronology|
"Ass on the Floor" (clean version: "A** on the Floor") is a song performed by Diddy and his band Dirty Money, lifted from their debut album, Last Train to Paris. It was released as the third UK single taken from the album on 18 April 2011. "Ass on the Floor" was produced and co-written by Beatz, as well as Diddy-Dirty Money and Leroy Watson. Incorporating pounding drums and shimmering synthesizers, "Ass on the Floor" was praised by critics as one of the best songs on Last Train to Paris.
Most felt that the song had the potential to be heard in clubs around the world. An accompanying music video, filmed by Colin Tilley, has a cold icy theme and features the female members of Dirty Money taking the lead as the group poses for the camera across the winter wonderland-themed landscape. "Ass on the Floor" made its chart debut on the U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number eighty-eight. It has since peaked at number eighty.
Background and composition
A sample of "Ass on the Floor" with the Swizz Beatz-produced marching beat. Richard and Harper take lead with the vocals.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Ass on the Floor" is an atmospheric dance-floor filler, first released as part of Swizz Beatz' Monster Mondays on November 29, 2010. Bradon Soderberg from The Village Voice pointed out the song's "swooping Moroder synths", which were described by MTV's Mawuse Ziegbe as "a spacey sheen of synth chords". Ziegbe also noted that the song's production recreated the rapid-fire drums from Major Lazer's 2009 song "Pon de Floor". "Ass on the Floor" 's production also consists of "pounding drums" and "glittery synthesizers" whilst the vocals focus primarily on Diddy-Dirty Money's two females, Dawn Richard and Kalenna Harper. Beatz handles the chorus (as well as the production) while Diddy drops a verse near the end of the song. According to Zeigbe, Harper and Richard's lyrics focus on "drowning their sorrows over a frustratingly volatile relationship", Beatz acts as the intermediary "commanding the lovelorn souls to forget the drama" while Diddy's melancholy lyrics "laments potent heartbreak in his verse". On February 11, 2011, "Ass on the Floor" was added to the B-playlist on the UK's biggest Urban music radio station, BBC Radio 1Xtra.
Jamie from Freshness said the choice of visuals to accompany the single and "marching beat" means that the "chances are this fresh track with Swizz Beatz will be heard in clubs all over the world." Meanwhile Jim Farber from the New York Daily News praised the song's directness saying "it puts you right there". Bradon Soderberg (of The Village Voice) singled "Ass on the Floor" out as one of the album's best songs. Jamie from Freshness said "With 'Ass on the Floor', the group not only opts for a heavy club vibe in terms of titling, but in sound as well... [which includes a] decisive marching beat". MTV's Mawuse Zeigbe praised the song for its emotional lyrics and production value. Zeigbe said "The vibe of the song definitely stays on track with the naked emotion the Bad Boy mogul promised on the trio's long-delayed effort, Last Train to Paris."
According to Rap-Up magazine, the Colin Tilley directed clip premiered on December 13, 2010. It was released in the same week that videos for "Somebody to Love Me" and "Coming Home" were released, in the week leading up to the album's release. In the "winter wonderland"-themed clip Richard and Harper take the lead while Swizz Beatz and Diddy make background appearances.
The video begins with a drummer beating his drum, snowflakes bounce up and down from the vibrations. Swizz Beatz appears in a snow-filled wooden crate surrounded by icicles, to rap his verse. Images of Dawn Richard and Kalenna Harper also flash on screen during the opening sequence. In the following scene Richard and Harper appear stood on floating blocks of ice in a cavern of water. Throughout their verses images of the drummer and Beatz in the crate also flash on screen. Some subtle camera effects such as superimposed imagery and split-screen lenses are also used. During the chorus, Beatz and Diddy appear sat on the bonnet of a white sports car as it snows around them. In the second and third verses Dirty Money and Beatz both appear in the snow filled backdrop but during Diddy's verse he appears alone in the same snow-filled crate that Beatz appeared in first. The video ends with two finals scenes, one where Diddy and Beatz appear together in the crate and one where Dirty Money appear in the snow filled landscape with heavy snow falling before the camera fades through black. Throughout the video there is a soft blue-tinged lighting effect.
Staff from E! Online were impressed with the clip saying that "although Diddy had shot a number of videos for the band's new album, 'Ass on the Floor' is the coolest—literally and artistically." They added, "just in time for blizzard season, the video features Dawn Richard and Kalenna Harper singing and dancing in the snow like ultrafoxy versions of the Snow Miser. In other words: It's icy hot!" Robbie Daw from Idolator was also impressed. He said "[the] somber dance jam 'Ass On The Floor' and its frosty visual are proving that old adage that third time’s a charm, [referring to the third video Diddy had released that week]. Maybe the winter wonderland displayed here is just getting us into the spirit of the season?".
Promotion and remixes
Dirty Money made their debut performance of "Ass on the Floor" on the December 4, 2010 showing of Saturday Night Live. The group were joined on stage by Swizz Beatz for the performance. They also performed the song live on Jimmy Kimmel Live! on December 17, 2010, though this time they performed with Beatz.
Female rapper Trina recorded a remix to "Ass on the Floor" in February 2010. The remix features a new verse, rapped by Trina, and will feature on the Trina (issued Valentine's Day, 2011). American songwriting and production duo The-Dream and Tricky Stewart were commissioned to produce an official remix for the song. Dubbed "Ass on the Floor (Remix)", the official remix leaves all of the original vocals but replaced the melody with a more "classic R&B" production.
- Songwriting - Sean "Diddy" Combs, Kasseem "Swizz Beatz" Dean, Dirty Money (Dawn Richard, Kalenna Vick), Leroy Watson
- Production - Swizz Beatz
- Keyboard arrangement - Tyrone Johnson
- Additional keyboards - Eric Hudson, Jeffrey "J-Dub" Walker
- Engineered by Matthew Testa, Steve "Rock Star" Dickey, Pat Viala
- Mixing - Jaycen Joshua, Jesus Garncia (assistant)
- Lead vocals - Diddy, Dirty Money
- Featured vocals - Swizz Beatz
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||26|
|Germany Youth Airplay Chart (Nielsen)||12|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||187|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||80|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||27|
|Worldwide||November 29, 2010||Free download (from Monster Mondays)||Bad Boy, Interscope Records|
|United Kingdom||February 11, 2011||Urban music radio||Polydor Records|
|April 18, 2011||Digital download|
- "Top 40 Rhythmic Future Releases – R&B Song and Hip-Hop Music Release Dates". All Access Music Group. 2011-03-10. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "Diddy- Dirty Money Announce ‘Ass On The Floor’ as next single from Last Train to Paris album, set for April 18th UK Release". The Outside Organisation. 2011-03-08. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "Diddy-Dirty Money announce Ass On The Floor as next single/video". Buzzin Pop. 2011-03-06. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "NEW MUSIC: DIDDY-DIRTY MONEY F/ SWIZZ BEATZ – ‘ASS ON THE FLOOR’". Rap-Up. 2010-11-29. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- Zeigbe, Mawuse (2010-11-29). "Swizz Beatz, Diddy-Dirty Money Get Their 'Ass On The Floor'". MTV (MTV Network: Viacom). Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- Brandon Soderberg (2010-12-15). "Diddy Goes Back to the Basement - Page 1 - Music - New York". Village Voice. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
- "Radio 1Xtra Playlist". BBC Radio 1Xtra. (British Broadcasting Corporation). 2011-02-11. Archived from the original on 18 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- Jamie (2010-12-14). "Diddy-Dirty Money – Ass On The Floor Ft. Swizz Beatz". Freshnessmag. FRESHNESS Creative Company. Archived from the original on 31 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- Jim Farber (2010-12-09). "Diddy-Dirty Money's 'Last Train to Paris' review: Hip-hop fits so-called artist to a T". New York: Nydailynews.com. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- Daw, Robbie (2010-12-13). "Diddy-Dirty Money Serve Up A Chilly "Ass On The Floor" Video". Idolator. Archived from the original on 4 February 2011. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- "VIDEO: DIDDY-DIRTY MONEY F/ SWIZZ BEATZ – ‘ASS ON THE FLOOR’". Rap-Up. 2010-12-13. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- "Get Your "Ass on the Floor" With Diddy-Dirty Money". E! Online. E!. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- "Diddy Dirty Money Tell The World They Still Sing Live On ‘SNL’ | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- Daw, Robbie (2010-12-17). "Diddy-Dirty Money Get Their Butts On The Floor For Jimmy Kimmel". Archived from the original on 17 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- "NEW MUSIC: TRINA F/ DIDDY-DIRTY MONEY – ‘ASS ON THE FLOOR (REMIX)’". Rap-up.com. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "New Music: Diddy-Dirty Money – Ass on the Floor (Remix)". Rap-up.com. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "Ass On The Floor (Explicit): Diddy - Dirty Money: 7digital.com: MP3 Downloads". 7Digital. 2011-04-17. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- Last Train to Paris (Booklet). Diddy-Dirty Money. Los Angeles, CA: Bad Boy, Interscope Records (Cat no. 0602527403076). 2010.
- "Ultratop.be – Diddy Dirty Money feat. Swizz Beatz – Ass on the Floor" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- German Airplay Chart, Retrieved on 2011-06-03
- "Chart Log UK: New Entries Update (wk15)". Zobbel.de. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Diddy Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Diddy. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Diddy Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Diddy. Retrieved 2012-06-05.