Assam Don Bosco University
|Assam Don Bosco University|
|Motto in English||Seize the Day|
|Type||State Private University|
|Religious affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Endowment||INR 88.52 million (U.S $1.44 million)|
|Chancellor||Fr VM Thomas, SDB|
|Vice-Chancellor||Fr (Dr) Stephen Mavely, SDB|
|Students||2300+ (excluding online)|
|Location||Azara, Guwahati, Guwahati, Assam, India|
|Affiliations||UCG, AICTE, DEC NAAC|
Assam Don Bosco University is a State Private University founded on March 29th 2008. The university was established through the Assam Don Bosco University Act, 2009 on 9 January 2009 and created under Assam Private Universities Act 2007 in the State of Assam, India. The university is a project of the Salesians of Don Bosco (SDB) executed by Don Bosco Society, Azara, Guwahati.
- 1 History
- 2 Constituent Units
- 3 Programmes of Study
- 4 Location
- 5 Recognition & Accreditation
- 6 Collaborations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Established on 29 March 2008, Assam Don Bosco University, located at Guwahati, Assam was set up as a response to the felt educational needs of the people of North-East India by an educational society -Salesians of Don Bosco, committed to the people of India and to those of the North-East in particular. Ever since the establishment of St. Anthony’s College at Shillong in 1934, the Salesians have set up and run a number of higher educational institutions in North-East India. The impact of the Salesians' presence in the field of higher education has been felt in North-East India in every conceivable field as these institutions have been the cradles of formation of persons who matter in academia, politics, business, civil administration, the judiciary and the ecclesiastical circles. Here is a brief retrospect of the development of the University:
- The first graduate courses in Technology and Engineering (B Tech) was started at Azara on 11 August 2008;
- Assam State Government passed the ‘Assam Don Bosco University Ordinance, 2008’ on 3 December 2008;
- Formal inauguration of the university on 6 December 2008 by Assam State Chief Minister, Shri Tarun Gogoi;
- ‘Assam Don Bosco University Act, 2009’ was published in the Gazette of Assam on 12 February 2009;
- The University started its first post-graduate course in Computer Science (MCA) at Azara on 20 August 2009, closely followed on 27 August by the second post-graduate course in Management (MBA) at Don Bosco Institute of Management at Kharghuli.
- On 8 December 2010 the university ventured into On-Line and Distance Education www.dbuglobal.com to reach out to the nooks and corners of this vast country and the world where Don Bosco institutions operate in 132 countries.
- The first batch of 33 graduates in Business Administration (MBA) was awarded their Degrees on 9 June 2011.
- On 26 July 2011 the University inaugurated yet another course in Civil Engineering (B Tech).
- 23 August 2011 saw the launch of two new post-graduate programmes: Social Work (MSW) and Technology (M Tech). More significantly, 22 doctoral students started research in 8 disciplines (Ph D) on the same day.
- The first Convocation of Don Bosco University was held on 19 September 2012.
Assam Don Bosco University functions through its four constituent units, which correspond to the four Schools of Technology, Social Sciences, Management and Distance Education.
Don Bosco College of Engineering and Technology (DBCET)
Don Bosco College of Engineering and Technology is the first constituent college of the School of Technology of Assam Don Bosco University, and its programmes are approved by AICTE (F. No. Eastern/1-746349432/2012/EOA dated 10 May 2012).
Don Bosco Institute of Management (DBIM)
Don Bosco Institute of Management is located in the idyllic Ramsai Hills, Kharguli.
Don Bosco Institute of Social Sciences (DBISS)
Don Bosco Institute of Social Sciences, situated at the Azara Campus, aims at enhancing human knowledge in all spheres of Social Sciences through academic programmes, research studies and extension activities.
Centre for Online & Distance Education (DBU GLOBAL)
Programmes of Study
Assam Don Bosco University offers a variety of Academic Programmes in Engineering, Management, Social Sciences, Research and Distance/Online Learning.
Graduate Programmes in Engineering & Technology
- B.TECH - Civil Engineering
- B.TECH - Mechanical Engineering
- B.TECH - Computer Science and Engineering
- B.TECH - Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- B.TECH - Electronics and Communication Engineering
Post Graduate Programmes in Engineering & Technology
- M.T.M. - Master of Management in Engineering & Technology
- M.TECH - Computer Science
- M.TECH - Electronics and Communication Engineering
- M.C.A. - Master of Computer Applications
Post Graduate Programmes in Social Sciences
- M.S.W. - Master of Social Work
- M. A. - Psychological Counselling
- M. A. - Educational Leadership
- M. A. - Educational Leadership (Executive)
- M. A. - Child Rights & Development
Post Graduate Programmes in Management
- M.B.A. - Marketing Management
- M.B.A. - Human Resource Management
- M.B.A. - Financial Management
- M.B.A. - Operations and General Management
Research Ph.D Programmes
The University has a research Ph.D programme in several areas in the following departments: Chemical Sciences, Physics, Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Biotechnology, Business Administration, Social Work, Mass Communication, Language Studies, Comparative Religion and North East India Studies.
Online and Distance Education Programmes
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA); Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA); Master of Business Administration (MBA); MBA in Entrepreneurship, Business Management and Strategy; MBA in Technology Management; Master in Business Administration (Executive MBA); Master of Science In Information Technology (MS-IT)
The Don Bosco University main Campus is located at Guwahati.
The first Constituent College of Don Bosco University is Don Bosco College of Engineering and Technology (DBCET).
Recognition & Accreditation
The Assam Don Bosco University is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC), India and accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), India. The university is also approved by the Distance Education Council (DEC), India and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), India. ADBU is a recognized member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), India, Association of Commonwealth Universities, (ACU), UK and the International Association of Universities (IAU), France.
The University has established a web of collaborative arrangements with several universities and institutions in India and around the world through Memorandums of Understanding (MoU). The following are some of the partners of the University:
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock - United States
- DeSales University - United States
- Barry University - United States
- University of Chester - United Kingdom
- University of Fribourg - Switzerland
- Asian Institute of Technology - Thailand