|Common name||Assam Police|
|Assam police logo|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||State of assam, [[India]]|
|Overviewed by||Assam Govt.|
|Headquarters||Office of the Director General of Police, Ulubari|
|Parent agency||Assam Police|
|Law and Enforcements||headquarter of assam police|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
Assam Police comes under direct control of Department of Home Affairs, Government of Assam. The Assam Police is headed by Director General of Police DGP Khagen Sharma. IPS (Present).
- Assam Police forces are organized into Police Ranges, headed by an Inspector General of Police (IG) or Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) who control several Police Districts.
- The Police District is the fulcrum of state police activity and each Police District of the state is headed by a Superintendent of Police (SP). In many states an SP is assisted by one or more additional SPs and DSPs. Generally a Police district is same as a revenue district of a state.
- The Police District is divided into Police Sub-Divisions and will be under the command of a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) or Subdivision Police Officer (SDPO).
- The Police Sub-Division is made up of one or more Police Circles, and is under the command of an Inspector of Police, often referred to as the Circle Inspector (CI).
- Under the Police Circles are the police stations, generally under the control of a Sub-Inspector (SI). As per the various Indian laws, Sub-Inspector (and above) are the only officers who can file a charge sheet in the court.
Assam state police force also maintains its own Reserve Armed police force,Special Armed Police and Armed Police) which is responsible for emergencies and crowd control issues. They are generally activated only on orders from the Rank of DIG and higher-level authorities. The armed constabulary do not usually come into contact with the general public unless they are assigned to VIP duty or to maintain order during fairs, festivals, athletic events, elections, and natural disasters. They may also be sent to quell outbreaks of student or labor unrest, organized crime, and communal riots; to maintain key guard posts; and to participate in anti-terrorist operations. Depending on the type of assignment, the Armed Police force may carry only lathis or lethal weapons.
Assam Police has 21 reserved Battalions Under APBN,APTF,IRBN & Commando Category.
- 14 Battalions under APBN in various parts of Assam
- 4 Battalions under APTF in Goalpara,Nagaon,Barpeta & Darrang District
- 2 Battalions Under IRBN in Karimganj & Morigaon District.
- 1 Commando Battalion.
Assam Police also have an Elite Commando Group known as Black Panther equipped with Latest weapons and technology for Anti-Terrorist Operations & VIP protection.
It is relevant to note that with the growth and development of the police administration in the post-colonial era, a number of new branches were established to meet the increasing demands of law and order and also of a peculiar situation obtained in the state, such as the large-scale infiltration of the foreign nationals from across the border causing a serious imbalance in the demographic structure of the state and threatening national security. Some of these branches are:
- Bureau of Investigation (Economic Offenses)
- Special Branch
- Criminal Investigation Dept.(C.I.D)
- Assam Police Border Organization
- Assam Police Radio Organization
- Assam River Police Organization
- State Fire Service Organization
- All Women Police Station
- Directorate of Forensic Science.Assam
- Village Defense Organization.
The Assam Police has grown from strength to strength during the last two decade. In 1980 it had a force of 40,290 and at the end of the 20th century its numerical strength stands at 60,721.
Medals & Awards
Officers of Assam Police got many Awards and Medals for their Outstanding & meritorious Service. Many officers and men of ASSAM POLICE,laid down their lives in the fight against EXTREMISM since 1986.
List of Receiver for 2011 President's Police Medal for Gallantry:
- Constable Nirmal Chandra Deka.(Posthumously)
Police Medal for gallantry on republic day 2011.
- Pranab Kumar Gogoi Circle Inspector.
- Utpal Borah.Sub-Inspector
- Anurag Agarwal.SP
- Prakash Sonowal.SDPO
- Imdad Ali.SDPO
- Mahananda Gauria.Constable
- Ghanakanta Malakar.Constable
- Hemkanta Boro.Constable
- Ratneshwar Kalita.Constable
Equipment and vehicles
- Baton (General Beat Purpose)
- Lee-Enfield . 303 (Standard Issue. Phased out)
- 1A SLR Rifle.
- 1B1INSAS Rifle. (Present Standard Issue)
- Sterling submachine gun. ( VIP Protection. Phased Out)
- Sten Gun (VIP Protection. Phased Out)
- A7 Assault Rifle (For Special Operations) Indian AKM
- AK-47 Bulgarian. (VIP Protection & Standard Guards Issue)
- Heckler & Koch MP5 (VIP protection) Limited quantity.
- MG 1B Light Machine Gun.
- PKM Machine Gun. (Limited Quantity)
- Pistol Auto 9mm 1A (Standard Service Weapon for Officer's above the Rank of Sub-Inspector)
- Glock 17. (Standard Service Weapon for Officer's above the Rank of Sub-Inspector)
- Revolver. (Officer's Service weapon. Being Phased out)
- Toyota Innova (Official Car for High Ranked Officers)
- Mahindra Scorpio (Official Car for High Ranked Officers)
- Tata Safari (VIP Protection & Convoy)
- HM Ambassador (Being Phased Out)
Vehicles Used for General Duty purpose.
- Mahindra Bolero
- Maruti Gypsy
- Tata Sumo
- Tata 407 Trucks.
- Bajaj Pulsar Bikes. (Patrolling)
- Maruti Omni. (For traffic regulations. In Guwahati City Only)
- Mahindra Commander Jeep. (Phased out)
There are many allegations and Court Cases of Police Brutality,Custodial Death,Human Right's violation,Fake Encounter killing, Extortion,Filing fake cases to harass general public,corruption,against Assam Police.