||This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (December 2012)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Somnath Dasgupta|
|Location||Silchar, Assam, India|
Assam University (Bengali: আসাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a teaching-cum-affiliating university. The university has sixteen schools which offer Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Information Sciences, Technology and Management Studies. There are 35 departments under these sixteen schools. The five districts under the jurisdiction of Assam University have 56 undergraduate colleges. Assam University is an institutional signatory to the Global Universities Network for Innovation (GUNI), Barcelona and United Nations Global Compact(UNGC) for its commitment to educational social responsibilities.
Schools and departments
The major teaching schools of the university along with the departments under them are:
- Abanindranath Tagore School of Creative Arts and Communication Studies
- Department of Mass Communication
- Department of Visual Arts
- Hargobind Khurana School of Life Sciences
- Department of Life Science & Bioinformatics
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Microbiology
- Shushrutu School of Medical and Paramedical Sciences
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- E. P Odam School of Environmental Sciences
- Department of Ecology and Environmental Science
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan School of Philosophy
- Department of Philosophy
- Jawaharlal Nehru School of Management
- Department of Business Administration
- Albert Einstein School of Physical Science
- Department of Computer Science(DCS): Offers 5 Years Integrated M.S in Computer Science since 1997.
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Mathematics
- Rabindranath Tagore School of Indian Languages and Cultural Studies
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Bengali
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Manipuri
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Assamese
- Suniti Kumar Chattopadhyay School of English and Foreign Language Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Arabic
- Department of French
- Mahatma Gandhi School of Economics and Commerce
- Department of Economics
- Department of Commerce
- Ashutosh Mukhopadhyay School of Education
- Department of Educational Science
- Jadunath Sarkar School of Social Sciences
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Sociology
- Aryabhatta School of Earth Sciences
- Swami Vivekananda School of Library Sciences
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Deshabandhu Chittaranjan School of Legal Studies
- Department of Law
- Triguna Sen School of Technology
- Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Department of Information Technology
Library, centers and other facilities
- Library: Rabindra (Central) Library
The library was started with the establishment of the university in 1994. The library has been shifted to its new permanent Central Library-cum-Computer Centre building and started functioning in January 2006. The new building has a plinth area of 38,700 sq.ft. The function of the library includes collection development of knowledge resources, technical processing, organization, retrieval and dissemination of information to the end users including Barak Valley in particular and the entire North Eastern Region in general.
The knowledge resources available in the library are in 13 collections arranged in separate halls:
- Text Books,
- Social Science and Humanities (including Business Studies, Commerce & Information Science),
- Periodicals (current and back volumes),
- Ph.D. theses/M.Phil theses,
- Reports and conference proceedings,
- Gifts,Donated collection of rare documents,
- North East collection,
- Audio-Visual collection,
- Digital including CD-ROM databases, E-journals, internet resources.
The library has a stock of 109,000 books. There are 460 Indian journals and 100 foreign journals in the subscription list. Eighteen newspapers (!!!) and 12 popular magazines are subscribed. There are departmental libraries in each department.
- Computer Centre:
The Computer Centre was established in March 1997 during the 9th Five Year Plan. The centre provides internet connectivity through fibre optic campus-wide network to all the academic departments and administrative buildings with a bandwidth of 1Gbit/s OFC link under the NMEICT project of the government of India. Another 10Mbit/s OFC link is provided for e-journal access under UGC-Infonet Scheme. The System Administration of Web Server, Mail Server, DNS Server, and FTP Server are done by the centre. The centre is responsible for maintenance of the campus-wide network, the web server and uploading official documents in the web server, maintaining the Mail Server and web-mails.
The centre runs a one year postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT) course. It is one of the 62 centres in India with a Satellite Interactive Terminal (SIT) “Virtual Classroom” setup under CEC-UGC EDUSAT Network funded by ISRO, government of India. The centre organizes Computer awareness programmers, Computer literacy Courses, Summer/winter schools for the teaching and the non-teaching staff of the university. Faculty take postgraduate and Integrated Ph.D classes for departments. The centre provides a central computing facility to the students, teachers and researchers of the University for their project, dissertation and research related works.
The Compute Centre is covered under a wireless network. The Computer Centre has taken up the initiative of commencing the e-governance solution project for the University.
- Health Centre:
The University Health Centre, managed by a Medical officer, two medical consultant and three visiting medical specialists, supported by para-medical staff, caters to the medical needs of the university community. . Health camps are organised in the campus with specialist doctors from Silchar Medical College. There is a Health Card for each student for Medical facilities. to the students efficiently. In case of emergency, ambulance service is provided to transfer patients to Silchar Medical College, around 15 km from the campus. The health centre in the campus is equipped with diagnostic facilities like X-ray, pathology, and ECG.
Every year an Annual Social Meet is organized where, along with cultural activities, indoor and outdoor sports are held. There is a Sports Board headed by a Chairman and Assistant Director of Physical Education as Convener.
The university is a member of the Inter-University Sports Board of India and its teams participate in Zonal and all-India University tournaments.
Department of Computer Science : Current Trends in Computer Science (CTCS) is the official National Conference event of the Department of Computer Science (DCS), Assam University funded by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India. The Other Workshops and events of the Department of Computer Science are : 1. Indo-Wordnet Workshop—Nepali Wordnet Research Group, DCS, Assam University 2. Java and Open source workshops by Sun Club Assam University 3. Code for Freedom Day Workshops by Sun Club Assam University 4. Free Open Source Software (FOSS) & utilities workshops by Sun Club Assam University 5. Robotics using Sun Spot Device by Sun Club Assam University 6. Open Solaris workshops by Sun Club Assam University.The Sun Club Assam University events are being funded by Sun Microsystems(ORACLE)
- Halls of residence:
There are seven hostels for students on the campus, three are for boys and four for girls’ students having approximately 600 single and shared room accommodation. The hostels have common room, recreation facilities, provisions for indoor and outdoor games and First Aid facilities.
- Guest House:
university has one guest house with 12 furnished rooms. In every room, there is internet connectivity.
The residential facilities are available for teaching and non-teaching employees in the main campus. There are 70 residential quarters for teachers and 26 for non-teaching staff.
There is a canteen and an Amenity Center where the facility of canteen and shopping has been provided. There is one Amul parlour maintained by the company.
Eleven student buses ply between Silchar and the campus (about 20 km from the town) daily to bring the students from Silchar town and return them. Four chartered buses for staff serve Silchar and the campus.
- Major scientific equipment:
With one-time assistance from the UGC and funds from other agencies like DST, DAE and CSIR, the science departments have procured the following instruments:
- Department of Physics: LCR meter (HP 4263), Meade computerized 16" telescope, FTIR spectrometer
- Department of Chemistry: UV-VIS spectrometer, polarizing microscopy, Pyris 1 DSC system.
- Department of Ecology & Environmental Science: OXi Top BOD determination system, laser leaf area meter, Anderson sampler.
- Department of Life Science: Leica-Leitz trinocular phase contrast microscope, CO2 incubator, PCR system, growth chamber.
- Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh
- Nihon University, Japan
- University of Montreal, Canada
- Jiao Tong University, China
- Nantes University, France
- University of Kobe, Japan
- Dhaka University, Bangladesh
- Chittagong University, Bangladesh
- Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh
- Jagannath University, Bangladesh
- Rajshahi University, Bangladesh
- "Lyricist-writer Gulzar appointed chancellor of Assam University". Mumbai: India Today. 30 April 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- Assam University, Who's who
- Facilities Available