Assam roofed turtle (Pangshura sylhetensis), is a species of the Geoemydidae family of turtles found in the Brahmaputra-Meghna drainage in Assam and parts of eastern Bangladesh. It was formerly in the Batagur genus and defunct genus Kachuga.
This turtle has an elevated carapace, tectiform, the keel ending in an elevated pointed nodosity on the third vertebral shield, forming a strong ridge on the last two vertebrals; posterior margin very strongly serrated; 26 marginal shields, instead of 24 as m all other species o£ the genus; first vertebral shield much broader in front than behind in the half-grown specimens, equally broad in front and behind in the adult; second vertebral shortest, broader than long, with straight posterior border; third vertebral considerably longer than broad, pointed behind, and forming a very narrow suture with the fourth, which tapers anteriorly and equals in length the first and second together ; fifth vertebral not broader than fourth, pointed posteriorly. Plastron large, feebly angulate laterally, truncate anteriorly, angularly notched posteriorly; the longest median suture is that between the abdominals; suture between the gulars as long as or shorter than that between the humerals; suture between gulars and humerals forming aright angle; inguinal and axillary large. Carapace olive-brown, usually with a lighter streak along the keel; plastral shields dark brown with a broad yellow border. Length of shell 7 inches.
Type locality: Sylhet River, Khasi Hills, India.
- ^ Fritz Uwe; Peter Havaš (2007). "Checklist of Chelonians of the World". Vertebrate Zoology 57 (2): 239. ISSN 18640-5755. Archived from the original on 2010-12-17. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- ^ Boulenger, G. A. 1890. Fauna of British India. Reptilia and Batrachia. pp. 42-43
- Asian Turtle Trade Working Group (2000). Kachuga sylhetensis. 2006. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN 2006. www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved on 11 May 2006. Database entry includes a brief justification of why this species is endangered and the criteria used
- Choudhury, Anwaruddin (1993) "New locality records for Kachuga sylhetensis (Jerdon, 1870)" Hamadryad: The Journal of the Madras Crocodile Bank Trust 18: 43-45
- Das, Indraneil (1997) "Kachuga sylhetensis recorded from northern Bengal, with notes on turtles of Gorumara National Park, Eastern India" Chelonian Conservation and Biology 2(4): 616-617
- Jerdon, T. C. (1870) "Notes on Indian Herpetology" Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal March 1870: 66-85
- Praschag, Peter and Fachbach, Günther (2001) "Beiträge zur Kenntnis der Assam-Dachschildkröte, Kachuga sylhetensis (Jerdon 1870) (Reptilia: Testudines: Bataguridae)" Salamandra 37(3): 129-148 ["Contributions to the knowledge of the Assam roofed turtle, Kachuga sylhetensis (Jerdon, 1870)"]
External links