Assembly of Turkmenistan
|Assembly of Turkmenistan|
|December 15, 2013|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Originally, it shared power with the People's Council.
A 2003 law reduced the power of the Assembly and augmented that of the People's Council. The Assembly can now be legally dissolved by the People's Council, is led by the President, and is no longer able to amend the Constitution. 
The People's Council was abolished by a new constitution drafted by Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow in 2008, making the Assembly/Mejlis the unicameral parliament again.
Powers and duties
The Constitution of Turkmenistan stipulates that the assembly shall:
- Enacts laws, makes amendments and additions to the Constitution and laws, monitors their performance and their interpretation.
- Considers for approval the programme activities of the Cabinet of Ministers;
- Examines questions related to approval of the state budget of Turkmenistan and reports on its implementation.
- Considers the basic directions and programmes of political, economic and social development of the country.
- Determines whether to hold national referendums.
- Declare the election of the President of Turkmenistan, deputies of the Mejlis, members of the velayat, district, municipal representative bodies and the Gengeshes.
- Considers the recommendations of the President of Turkmenistan on the issues related to the appointment and dismissal of the Chairman of the Supreme Court, the Prosecutor General, the minister for Internal Affairs, the minister for Justice.
- Establishes state awards, awards state decorations to the President of Turkmenistan, assigns him the military ranks and distinctions.
- Determines conformity to or divergence from the Constitution and the normative-legal Acts by the state authorities and government.
- Ratifies and denounces international treaties.
- Considers questions related to change of state borders and administrative and territorial division of Turkmenistan.
- Examines the issues related to peace and security.
- Decides other questions in the competence of the Mejlis under the Constitution and laws.
- Article 63 of the Constitution of Turkmenistan
- List of Chairmen of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Turkmenistan
- List of Chairmen of the Assembly of Turkmenistan
- Politics of Turkmenistan
- List of legislatures by country