|Type||Società per azioni|
|Traded as||BIT: G|
|Area served||Italy, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Americas|
|Key people||Gabriele Galateri di Genola (Chairman)
Mario Greco (CEO)
Alberto Minali (CFO)
Sergio Balbinot (Chief Insurance officer)
Sandro Panizza (CRO)
Nikhil Srinivasan (CIO)
|Products||Insurance, banking, investment management|
|Revenue||€113.8 billion (2012)|
|Profit||€0.1 billion (2012)|
|Total assets||€441.74 billion (end 2012)|
|Total equity||€22.57 billion (end 2012)|
|Employees||79,454 (end 2012)|
|Subsidiaries||Genertel, Alleanza Toro, Ina Assitalia, Europ Assistance Group|
Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A. is the largest insurance company in Italy and one of the largest in Europe. It has its headquarters in Trieste. In 2010, Assicurazioni Generali Group was the second largest insurance group in the world by revenue after AXA.
Under the name of Imperial Regia Privilegiata Compagnia di Assicurazioni Generali Austro-Italiche, the company was founded on December 26, 1831. At the time, Trieste was the most important sea port of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The company grew in importance, becoming one of the largest insurance operators both in Italy and in Central Europe. As of 2014[update], the company ranks 48th on the Fortune 500 Global 500 list of companies.
Today Generali operates primarily in Europe, Middle East and East Asia, with large market shares in Italy, Poland, Germany (under the name of Generali Deutschland), France, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, Romania, Israel, Japan, China and Bosnia and Herzegovina, with secondary operations in Latin America, for example, in Panama. Generali's United States operations are concentrated in life reinsurance and financial products management, a result of the group's acquisition of Business Men's Assurance Company of America in 1990.
On Jerusalem's Jaffa Road, the Generali Building (בניין ג'נרלי), built by the company in 1935, is still known by that name although the company operated its Jerusalem branch in the building only from 1935 to 1946. The Generali Building is still owned by the Italian insurance firm through its local representative, the Migdal Insurance Company. The building currently houses various government offices, including the Jerusalem District Administration, the Ministry of Interior, the Department of Immigration and Population Registry, and the Internal Auditing Office. It is a famous Jerusalem landmark, due to the large and well-preserved stone statue of a winged lion on its roof; this is the Lion of Saint Mark, patron saint of Venice, and the symbol of the Generali insurance company which appears on all of its branches worldwide since 1848.
In India the company is represented by Future Generali, a joint venture of Future group and Assicurazioni Generali.
As of 13 March 2013, Assicurazioni Generali's largest shareholder was Mediobanca with 13.24%. Other declared shareholdings at this date were Banca d'Italia (4.49%), Delfin Sarl - Leonardo Del Vecchio (2.99%), B&D HOLDING Group (2.43%), Effeti (2.15%), Caltagirone Group (2.23%).
- Franz Kafka worked for nearly nine months (between November 1, 1907, and July 15, 1908) at the Assicurazioni Generali office in Prague.
- "Annual Report 2012". Generali.
- "Assicurazioni Generali SpA Company Profile". Yahoo! Finance. Archived from the original on 5 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- "Company References." Assicurazioni Generali. Retrieved on 8 July 2010.
- "Assicurazioni Generali - Global 500 2014 - Fortune". Fortune. 2014. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Even-Or, Shmuel (May 1984). "ירושלים: בניינים בעיר החדשה" [Jerusalem: Buildings in the New City]. Kardom, Bimonthly Journal of Information about the Land of Israel (in Hebrew): 20–23.
- "בניין ג'נראלי" [Generali Building] (in Hebrew). All About Jerusalem. 2014. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Bar-Am, Aviva (19 September 2003). "Return to Bevingrad". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 3 April 2014. (subscription)
- "Shareholder structure". Assicurazioni Generali. Archived from the original on 5 December 2010. Retrieved 11 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Assicurazioni Generali.|