|The Municipality of
Assis, São Paulo, Brasil
|Nickname(s): Capital do Paranapanema
|Motto: Deo et terræ matri God and land mother|
Location in São Paulo and the state of São Paulo
|Mesoregion||Mesoregion of Assis|
|Microregion||Microregion of Assis|
|Founded||July 5, 1905|
|• Mayor||Ricardo Pinheiro (2013-2016)|
|• Total||462,705 km2 (178,651 sq mi)|
|Elevation||543 m (1,781 ft)|
|• Density||207/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BRT (UTC−3)|
|• Summer (DST)||BRST (UTC−2)|
|Postal Code (CEP)||19800-000|
Assis is a municipality in south-west of the state of São Paulo in Brazil. It was founded in July 5, 1905 and has a population of 100.204. It's the first of your microregion and the 2nd of mesoregion, and is 434 km away from the capital, São Paulo. The town has an annual averagge temperature of 21,37 °C and the vegetation predominates Mata Atlântica and Cerrado, is then a transition zone of vegetation. It's Human Development Index (HDI) is 0.805, considered high if comparated to state and is in 28th place among Brazilian cities.
The city of Assis was emancipated from Campos Novos Paranapanema in the 1910s. Their etymology is that the name is a reference to Captain Assis, who explored the lands of the region. Is currently formed by the city of Assis, with its single district headquarters since the emancipation of Tarumã in 1990s.
The city is known for its title Fraternal City and the undergraduate courses from UNESP at Assis, FEMA (Municipal Assis Educational Foundation) and Unip (Universidade Paulista - Paulista University). In the city, there are many industries, schools, universities, large agriculture production and strong commerce and services. The city is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Assis. Assis is one of the most important of region and has a privileged geographic location where there are different types of agriculture. Furthermore the city is served by Marcelo Pires Halzhausen State Airport.
Furthermore, the city is regional development reference , with influence in the cities of Assis's Microregion, a few municipalities in the Ourinhos's Microregion, Marília's Microrregion and North of Paraná by his commerce, services, cultural services, sports, science and technology that make Assis that bears the title of Capital of Paranapanema, even with strong competition from larger centers such as Marilia, Presidente Prudente and Londrina.
Administration and Political
Mayor: Ricardo Pinheiro (2013/2016)
Assis is seat of Government Region State and of CIVAP - Consórcio Intermunicipal do Vale Paranapanema (Intermunicipal Consortium of Paranapanema Valley) what is an alliance of 25 cities in Paranapanema Region with 400k habitants.
The economics of city is diversify with stronger commerce and services participation. In the city are many marketplaces like Supermercados Avenida and Walmart. The city was growing in IT, in the city was a huge number of software factories like VSM and PRX.
Assis has a system of public and private primary and secondary schools and a variety of vocational-technical schools. It's started in 1917 when Assis was transformated into city. The first oficial and public school was Assis Isolated School (Escola Isolada de Assis), what was evoluted to Scholar Group of Assis (Grupo Escolar de Assis). After that, was created in 1941 the Assis Normal School (Escola Normal de Assis) with High School course and Normal course, that allowed the teacher formation.
In 1951 was created officially the Artesanal School of Assis (Escola Artesanal de Assis), that was evoluted into Industrial School of Assis, that nowadays is Assis's State Technical School "Pedro D'Arcádia Neto".
Furthermore, in 1956 the São Paulo State Legislature approved the Bill proposed by the House Representative Mr José Santilli Sobrinho who creates the Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Languages of Assis (Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciências e Letras de Assis) as an Institute for Higher Education. In 1959 was installed the course of Languages. Today the faculty is a part of multi-campi system of Univesidade Estadual Paulista (Paulista State University) with name Faculty of Science and Languages of Assis (FCLA)
In the city was others universities like FEMA who was created by Assis's city hall (in other words, is a public university), but unlike Unesp the cources isn't free and their students are required to pay tuition in all courses. "Histórico da FEMA".
The universities and colleges include:
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (Unesp), Paulista State University Júlio de Mesquita Filho;
- Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de São Paulo (IFSP), São Paulo Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology;
- Faculdade de Tecnologia de São Paulo (Fatec), São Paulo Technological College;
- Fundação Educacional do Município de Assis (FEMA), Municipal Assis Educational Foundation;
- Universidade Paulista (Unip), Paulista University;
- União das Instituições Educacionais de São Paulo (Uniesp), Union of Colleges of State of São Paulo;
- Universidade Virtual do Estado de São Paulo (Univesp), São Paulo Virtual University;
- Universidade do Norte do Paraná (Unopar), Paraná Northern University;
- University of São Paulo (USP) - Escola Superior de Agricultura Luiz de Queiroz da Universidade de São Paulo - Postgraduate online courses;
Assis has a large health care public and private system like Hospital Regional de Assis, the largest health care center of Mesoregion of Assis and reference in public health in this region. The city have a huge number of hospital around the city. Furthermore, the city has other hospitals like Santa Casa de Misericórdia de Assis and Hospital de Olhos Oeste Paulista (Hospital of Eyes of Paulista West), one of the best ophthalmological hospital in the country.
Assis is the headquarters of the Departamento de Estradas e Rodagens de São Paulo (Departament of Roads of São Paulo), being the 7th Regional Division. It is responsible for managing state roads of Middle Paranapanema and part of the Marília's Mesoregion and Ourinhos's Microregion.
- SP-266 - Rodovia Benedito Pires (Benedito Pires Highway) - Connects Assis to Cândido Mota, District of Frutal do Campo, Tarumã e Florínia
- SP-270 - Rodovia Raposo Tavares (Raposo Tavares Highway) - Connects Assis to Ourinhos, Presidente Prudente, São Paulo e others
- SP-284 - Rodovia Manilo Gobbi (Manilo Gobbi Highway) - Connects Assis to Paraguaçu Paulista e Rancharia
- SP-333 - Rodovia Rachid Rayes (Rachid Rayes Highway) - Connects Assis to Marília e Bauru
- SP-333 - Rodovia Miguel Jubran (Miguel Jubran Highway) - Connects Assis to Tarumã, Florínia e Paraná State (old Assis - Londrina Highway)
- (Portuguese) Assis City Council Website
- (Portuguese) Assis City Hall Website
- (Portuguese) Biblioteca Pública Municipal Dona Nina - Official website of the city's public library
- (Portuguese) UNESP Assis - Faculdade de Ciências e Letras
- IBGE (10 October 2002). "Área territorial oficial". Resolução da Presidência do IBGE de n° 5 (R.PR-5/02).
- "Distâncias entre a cidade de São Paulo e todas as cidades do interior paulista".
- "IDH brasileiro e posições por cidade".
- "História de Assis - Site da Câmara Municipal de Assis".
- "Perfil Municipal, Emprego e Rendimento - SEADE". 2011.
- "Inauguração do Walmart".
- "TOTVS faz terceira aquisição do ano e leva a PRX".
- "Site da VSM".
- GUSMÃO, Emery Marques. ARQUIVOS ESCOLARES, MEMÓRIA E CULTURA. UNESP – FCLAs – CEDAP, V.1, n.1, p. 56-65, 2005.
- "Site da Etec Pedro D'Arcádia Neto".
- "Institucional da FCLA - Unesp de Assis".
- "Divisões do DER". Retrieved 14 April 2014.